39

Chapter Thirty-Nine: Qinwang

The name of An Country Duke Fu did not sound as nice as the Princess Shun Yi Fu, but in reality, it was much more noble than Princess Shun Yi who did not hold any true power. Qi Long Emperor's decree seemed slightly akin to pressing the ox to the water to drink. The An Country Duke Fu did not intend to meddle in the affairs of the Imperial Family, but they knew something about how Min Huai Junzhu was in love with Xian Junwang. Now that Xian Junwang had married such a beautiful Xian Junwang Fei and did not want this junzhu, the Emperor was having their di eldest grandson take her. What did they think that the An Country Duke Fu was, trash-pickers?

The common saying was that those who were matchmakers should do matches that would end in long-lasting marriages of love, and not hate. Qi Long Emperor's decree was undoubtedly pushing a thorn into An Country Duke's heart. His di eldest grandson was the one he was most satisfied with. He had originally wanted to get a learned and virtuous wife for his grandson, but then his grandson had been abruptly decreed a marriage.

Yet no matter how unhappy they were, the decree had been proclaimed. They could only show happiness as they went to the palace to state their gratefulness, and then go to Princess Shun Yi Fu to present the betrothal gifts on the day that the Imperial Astronomy Office calculated. However, while there was a lot in the betrothal gifts, there wasn't much sincerity in the end.

The families close to the An Country Duke Fu knew about how badly they felt. They would express sympathy in private, but in public, all of them would just give their congratulations with a smile. The An Country Duke had to swallow this bitter fruit as though it was sweet and fragrant.

On this day, Lu shi came to Xian Junwang Fu to visit Hua Xi Wan. She made sure that her daughter did not have any scar on her forehead before she sighed in relief. She then cursed the Fang Clan inside before she said in a low voice, "The marriage decree for Min Huai Junzhu and the di eldest grandson of the An Country Duke Fu has come down too fast. I went to the An Country Duke Fu a few days ago. Their betrothal gifts might appear good, but there isn't much effort put in. Who knows what that person intends."

Knowing that Mother was speaking of the Empress, Hua Xi Wan said with a thin smile, "Who knows, I only remember that this junzhu who was unmarried came to the bridal chamber on the day of my marriage."

Lu shi had a strong personality, but that did not mean that she lacked intelligence. Hua Xi Wan's words caused her brow to furrow. "So that is what she thinks? What I wonder is, if the people in the An Country Duke Fu know."

"Some time ago, Princess Rui He invited us to the estate in the suburbs to play. When we were playing games, An Country Duke Fu's old Furen and the di granddaughter were both present." Hua Xi Wan's tone carried slight regret. "At that time, I did not pay attention and accidentally engaged in some slightly intimate actions with Junwang Ye. Min Huai Junzhu's expression was slightly ugly. I just don't know if the An Country Duke's old Furen saw. If she did, after asking around..." Hua Xi Wan sighed and said worriedly, "Then it would not be good. This is all my fault."

"How can you be blamed for this matter? You and Son-in-law are newly married and it is understandable for you to be slightly close." Lu shi smiled and raised a teacup for a drink. "Everyone has their own fate. What is the use in worrying about such things—it tires your mind."

"Mother is right in lecturing me," Hua Xi Wan responded. Then she looked at the fragrant laurel flowers in the vase. "We have already entered autumn and it will be Mid-Autumn soon. It is unfilial that Daughter cannot admire the moon together with Father and Mother."