72

Chapter Seventy-Two: Panic

Because Qilong Emperor was not in a good mood recently, he only went through the motions at the court session held every fifth day. He had a fight over elevating the Crown Prince as emperor posthumously, and there was no conclusion reached at the end of the session.

After Yan Jin Qiu came out of the palace, he was preparing to return to the wang fu when he and the other members of the imperial palace were surrounded by the people who were opposed to elevating the Crown Prince. He listened to the examples they stated about the traditions passed down by his ancestors, but while he had a smile on his face which hid his true thoughts, no one would feel dislike when they saw him listening in concentration.

The members of the Imperial Family were slightly depressed. They were originally idle members and did not like to participate in these matters. But now they were surrounded by these people. They were unable to leave, but if they didn't, they would offend the Emperor. This was an undeserved calamity.

After being hindered at the palace gates for an hour, just as everyone was about to leave, a blade-carrying guard dressed in silver-patterned black robes ran over with a panicked expression. Everyone frowned inwardly. These were robes that only the captain of a qinwang's guard could wear. Which family had something happen?

"Wang Ye, Wang Fei was the target of an assassin in the wang fu. The assassin has been captured."

The courteous smile on Yan Jin Qiu's face immediately disappeared completely. He said harshly, "How is Wang Fei?"

"Because her two maids protected her with their lives, and the guards arrived in time, Wang Fei is temporarily safe. The taijian who led the way for the assassin and the assassin have been killed."

"Return to the fu immediately." Yan Jin Qiu could not spare the attention to exchange courtesies with the people around him. Without saying even a word of farewell, he hurriedly got onto the carriage and had the driver return to the fu.

However, no one was offended by his lack of politeness. No one in Jing was ignorant about how much Xian Wang loved Xian Wang Fei. If something really happened to Xian Wang Fei, Xian Wang would really be impacted.

But in broad daylight, someone had sneaked into a wang fu for an assassination, and there had been a taijian who led the way—this was outrageous. If it wasn't that Xian Wang had been stopped at the palace gates for an hour, then was the one to be assassinated Xian Wang?

It seemed that this assassin's primary target was not Xian Wang Fei but Xian Wang. However, Xian Wang was a gentleman and never tried to promote himself. Who would be so ruthless as to kill Xian Wang?

They were all people in politics, and in this little span of time, all of them had a list of possible culprits in their minds. On this ranking, Sheng Junwang was the zhuangyuan, the Empress' paternal family, the Fang clan, was the bangyan, and the present ruler... the tanhua.

After something like this occurred, the officials did not keep the members of the Imperial Family any longer. If something happened in the homes of these imperial members, then the officials would be pulled in as well.

Not an hour later, the news that Xian Wang Fei had been the subject of an assassination attempt spread through half of Jing. When Qilong Emperor heard of this, he was so furious he smashed one of his most preferred tea sets. He was very suspicious that the person who had acted at Xian Wang Fu and the person who had poisoned the Crown Prince were possibly comrades-in-arms. However, he did not have the evidence. While he had possible candidates, he could not act.