92

Chapter Ninety-Two: Mourning

While the reputation of the Crown Princess was not good when she died, because she had given birth to a son for the Imperial Family, even though her status as the crown princess only existed in name, the effect of her hanging herself was enormous in Jing.

It seemed that the Imperial House was cursed these recent years as people had continuously died. Someone said in private that it was because the Crown Prince had died at a bad time, a time that would bring bad luck to those close to him, so after he died, that was why so many other people in the Imperial House had died.

Yan Jin Qiu changed into a somber robe and sat with Hua Xi Wan to wait for the decree from the Imperial House. While the Crown Princess was of the same generation with them and they did not need to put on mourning attire, she had still been the crown princess and they could not allow any detail to be missed.

Theoretically, if the Crown Princess passed away, the members of the Imperial House should immediately go visit, but the situation was not the same now. The Crown Princess had not died with a good looking method, and there had been slanderous rumors about the Crown Princess a few days before. The cautious members of the Imperial Family did not want to be the first to pop out, so they waited for the Emperor to send a decree.

Since the one who died was the Emperor's daughter-in-law, regardless of whether they were truly grieving or pretending, they didn't need to compete for first at this time.

The news that the Crown Princess had hung herself did not leak to the common people. Otherwise, the Imperial House would have been shamed. So two hours later, no one was surprised when the news circulating among the common people was that the Crown Princess had passed away due to sickness.

In Zhu Que Palace, the Emperor looked at the white mourning hall. After a long silence, he suddenly staggered and blood seeped from the corner of his mouth.

"Emperor!" Ma gonggong's expression changed, and he immediately went forward to support Qilong Emperor carefully.

"Shut up!" The Emperor imperceptibly wiped away the blood at the corner of his mouth and then put the handkerchief with the blood into his sleeve. "Announce zhen's decree—order all noblewomen above third grade in Jing to mourn for the Crown Princess."

Ma gonggong released Qilong Emperor's hand, taking a step back and then bowing. "Should the wangfei and junwang fei in Jing also..."

"The Crown Princess was the future empress and of peerless status. Since she has passed away, they should come to mourn her."

Ma gonggong buried his head lower. "This servant will pass on the decree now."

The Emperor waved his hand and slowly turned to walk out of Zhu Que Palace. The farther he walked, the calmer his expression was until he came to Cheng Zhang Palace. He raised his head to look at the dragon pillar in front of the palace gates, the intimidating dragon, the glittering scales, the sharp claws. A moment later, he lowered his head and smiled disdainfully to disguise the loneliness in his eyes.

In the past, he had done anything and everything to get the throne, eliminated others and became the one honored and glorified. Now, he had truly become someone who was alone. Was it retribution for having killed his brothers in the past?

While in a daze, he seemed to have heard the cry of an infant. His mind immediately shook. He turned to the palace maid behind him and said, "Where's the imperial grandson? Have Xiao Mazi deliver him to Guang Yang Hall."

The palace maid stilled slightly and said tentatively, "Emperor, Ma gonggong has left the palace to deliver the decree."

Hearing this, the Emperor finally remembered that he had Xiao Mazi leave the palace.