57

Chapter Fifty-Seven: Showing Weakness

Hua Yi Liu leaned back against the bed frame, her body thin and withered. The room was cool and quiet, as though she was the only person in the assistant minister fu. It was frighteningly quiet. Her servants who came as part of her dowry had been taken away by her good mother-in-law with all kinds of excuses, not leaving her any face at all.

She looked at the slightly dark sky outside. It appeared as though it was going to rain again, but what did the weather have to do with her? She was in her confinement period, restricted from even going out and having the wind blown on her, not to mention returning to her paternal family.

Paternal family? Hua Yi Liu thought of her paternal family and felt a wave of hatred. If it wasn't for Mother who wanted her father-in-law to help her younger brother on his scholarly path, she would not have married such an absurd person, and ended up so terribly.

A wave of footsteps came from outside the door. Hua Yi Liu looked dully at the servant girls who pushed the door open and entered. The servant girls held jewelry and bright clothing in their hands, and had slightly nervous and respectful expressions.

Weren't these the servant girls who were well-trusted by her mother-in-law? What had frightened them so?

"Young Mistress, Taitai has ordered us servants to serve you in attiring and seeing guests." The leading servant girl curtsied at Hua Yi Liu and indicated for the people behind her to help Hua Yi Liu change her clothing.

Hua Yi Liu's mind shifted slightly. Had someone come to support her? Was it her father or her younger brother?

Or was it... Hua Xi Wan?

She knew very well that someone who could make the Zhou Family this nervous would be a person of great status. Her father had a good reputation in court, but it was not enough to make the Zhou Family so wary.

But how many people were willing to support her now? Her maternal family had received a title a few days ago, but that was done because the Emperor wanted to stop the mouths of the public and used it to placate her maternal grandfather who had just lost his only son. In reality, her maternal family just received an empty title.

Then it was either Eldest Uncle or Hua Xi Wan who came.

Hua Yi Liu did not resist. She allowed these servant girls to make her up and felt slightly urgent inside. She wanted to immediately leave this den of wolves and never return.

At this time, the main gates of the Zhou Family were wide open and everyone of status had come out to welcome the wang fei. After the entire fu knelt down in front of Hua Xi Wan's carriage, Hua Xi Wan finally said, "Assistant Minister Zhou is a great scholar and should not give such a major greeting. Chief Steward Mu, help Assistant Minister Zhang up."

The "great scholar" caused Assistant Minister Zhou's face to redden in embarrassment. He usually did not pay attention to the matters of the inner compound. Even though he knew that Zhou Yun Heng was slightly outrageous in his conduct, he had not thought that his son dared to commit such a reckless action. With how matters stood now, this was not a marital coupling to tie together the families, but to create hatred.

Not even speaking of how much power the Hua Family had, and the prestigious families that had marital relationships with the Hua Family, just this beautiful wang fei about whom all in the Great Zhao Dynasty knew was someone whom their Zhou Family could not afford to offend.

Who did not know how much Xian Wang loved this wang fei? Offending this person was offending Wang Ye. Where could their Zhou Family afford to offend someone as noble as Xian Wang?