56

Chapter Fifty-Six: Support

Hua Zhi Ming had been kept in the dark by Zhang shi. He had originally felt puzzled why Third Niece would have someone send a letter nearly at night to him as she was living harmoniously with Xian Wang.

After he read the letter, he was filled with both urgency and anger. In the end, it all turned into a sigh. The end of the letter mentioned that Assistant Minister Zhang could not manage his family properly, that he let his son favor the concubine and neglect the wife. It was likely that he would be demoted and investigated. The primary examiner of the spring examinations would probably change.

Next year, Qing Mao was going to attend the exams with Ding Chen from Eldest Brother's family. It would actually be good if the examiner was changed. At least, no one would talk behind their backs that Qing Mao's results came unfairly. He should not have agreed to Zhang shi marrying his daughter to the young master of the Zhou Family in the first place. Otherwise, how would his daughter be suffering so?

"Come, give this letter to Qing Mao to read. Ask him if he is willing to help meet and bring his sister back tomorrow." Hua Zhi Ming handed the letter to a trusted servant before sitting quietly in his room. Watching as the sky darkened, he waved away the servant who came in to light the lamp. He thought of Zhang shi, and of his son who had such hopes resting on him. In the darkness, he sighed heavily.

"Prepare a carriage."

When Zhang shi heard that her husband had gone out, she asked the steward in shock, "Why is Laoye going out at this time—did he say where he was going?"

"Taitai, Laoye said before leaving that he was going to talk with the marquis at the marquis fu." The steward did not say that Laoye had a terrible expression when he left, and did not dare to even mention it.

"So late, and he is going to the marquis fu." Zhang shi's brow furrowed as she said, "It is almost curfew. Is Laoye planning on spending the night in the marquis fu?"

The steward bowed his head and said, "Laoye did not say."

"Never mind." Zhang shi knew that Laoye would not say so much to a steward, and did not inquire further. Just as she was preparing to have the steward leave, a servant came to report that the young master had come.

Zhang shi loved her son and would not bear for her son to wait outside. She hurriedly had the servant invite her son in. Seeing that his expression was not well, she asked worriedly, "Son, why is your expression so ugly? Is something wrong?"

"Mother, not me, but Jiejie is in trouble." Hua Qing Mao was only a year and a half younger than his older sister, and the two had a very good and loving relationship. So when he saw the letter that Tangmei had sent, he was so angry he had smashed the cup in his hand. If it wasn't for his manservant who stopped him, he would have gone to Assistant Minister Zhou's fu already to take his jiejie back to the fu.

"Your jiejie..." Zhang shi's smile froze. She then jerked the corner of her lips and said, "Your jiejie's matter is an accident; do not worry so much. You are going to attend the spring examination next year—are matters of the inner compound things that men should manage?" Zhang shi thought of how Hua Ding Chen of the marquis fu was also going to attend the exams and felt extremely bothered. Her son would not lose to any person!

"Mother, you are still keeping it a secret for me. Jiejie miscarried out of anger because of Brother-in-law's family. Aren't you angry?" Hua Qing Mao really did not dare to believe that Mother was saying the matter of Jiejie's miscarriage was a small matter. He looked in disbelief at Zhang shi. "She is your daughter, my jiejie."