83

Chapter Eighty-Three: Moves

Ning Wang and Yan Jin Qiu exchanged courtesies before they entered Chao Yang Hall one after the other. Those who were mindful saw this and couldn't help but think, did this Ning Wang want to push Xian Wang to the throne? But looking at Xian Wang, he didn't seem to want to accept Ning Wang's favor?

There were those who then took a look at Sheng Junwang's expression. This person had the same expression as usual, a straight face, and they found it boring. The younger people who were usually lectured by their elders and compared to Yan Bo Yi always felt terrible when they saw Yan Bo Yi's serious face.

Some young people were the "other children" whom elders liked to mention. If they got a say, this Yan Bo Yi was a fake gentleman. He was said to respect his wife, but there were many concubines in his fu. They didn't know how he wasn't embarrassed to be praised so.

After the people were seated, a taijian came to clap and open the way. Everyone stood up again to welcome the Emperor and Empress.

The Empress walked next to the Emperor dressed in a dress of the hundred birds paying respect to the phoenix. Hua Xi Wan saw that every one of her steps was steady and that the phoenix gold hairpins in her hair swayed rhythmically yet the sway was almost the same with every step.

"Rise."

After the Emperor and Empress were seated, they stood up. Hua Xi Wan listened to an official of the Ministry of Rites recite a birthday speech that the Emperor had written for the Empress. The general meaning was the Empress was good, the Empress was wonderful, the Empress was virtuous.

After the speech, the Emperor and Empress sent up three cups of wine in tribute to the heaven and earth. Then they drank a cup to each other before everyone toasted them. After a whole bout of ceremony, they could finally sit on their seats to drink, eat and watch performances. However, they had to pay attention to their manners.

Hua Xi Wan used her handkerchief to cover her mouth and said in a small voice by Yan Jin Qiu's ear, "How come the Empress Dowager did not come today?"

Yan Jin Qiu picked up a pickled duck tongue for her with a calm expression. "The Empress Dowager is not feeling well and is resting in the palace."

Hearing this, Hua Xi Wan became silent. In past years, even if the Empress Dowager did not feel well, she would still show herself at the Empress' birthday feast before leaving. Hua Xi Wan hadn't expected the Empress Dowager to not even attend this time. She hadn't heard any news that the Empress Dowager had been unwell before this. This... the Empress Dowager was purposefully humiliating the Empress. A few days ago, the Emperor had the Imperial Guard surround the Fang Family, and now he had written a speech for her before reciting it in front of so many people. Their lovey-dovey really wasn't well-concealed.

However, were the Emperor and Empress really so much in love or just pretending for other people?

There was nothing good about this banquet. Hua Xi Wan was too lazy to watch the Emperor and Empress act. She leaned against Yan Jin Qiu to use him as concealment and avoided having to talk. Just as the banquet was about to finish, something happened.

Originally, while the banquet had been slightly fake, it had appeared well on the surface. But if a taijian suddenly fainted and died at the banquet, then it was not good.

Even though the taijian's corpse had been quickly carried out, it was not an auspicious omen for such a thing to occur on the Empress's birthday. Also, who died suddenly and without cause? Was this a warning from the heavens?