98

Chapter Ninety-Eight: Sides

The atmosphere in Shu Fei's palace was slightly tense. Other than Hou shi and Shu Fei, there was also De Fei, Rong Fei and the other qinwang fei of the Imperial House.

A junwang abusing his junwang fei—this would be an ugly stain on the Imperial House if it was publicized. While Qilong Emperor was displeased with Sheng Junwang in many ways, he was still extremely displeased that Hou shi had done this. In his view, it was the glory of the entire Hou Clan that Hou shi had been able to marry into the Imperial Family. For her to do such a thing was to disrespect the Imperial House.

Also, that Yan Bo Yi was useless. He wasn't even able to keep an eye on his own woman and caused this entire matter to be known by everyone. Even though he was displeased, the Emperor still had people take care of Hou shi. He could not have her slighted even more, otherwise, the Imperial House would be even more humiliated.

The Imperial House was discontent, and the prestigious families did not feel comfortable as well. While the Hou Family was not the most famous, it was still a major family. Yet after their daughter had married into the Imperial Family, she hadn't just lost her child, but also her husband was rumored to have had an affair with another woman, and she was abused to such a sorry state. This was disrespecting the prestigious families.

While the prestigious families muttered inside, they did not move and waited for the Imperial House's response. As for Sheng Junwang who had abused his wife—his reputation among the prestigious families and the common people fell greatly.

Shu Fei felt conflicted as she watched Hou shi cry. She was also from a prestigious family and naturally biased inside towards Hou shi. But she also knew that the Emperor was displeased with this matter. It really was hard for her to decide how to manage this.

The saying was that one would rather demolish ten temples than destroy a marriage. But facing Hou shi's skeletal appearance and disheveled state, Shu Fei was unable to speak. Yet she did not dare to let these two divorce. It had been the Emperor who had decreed this marriage. If she now said that the two were not suited, wasn't that akin to saying the Emperor had been wrong?

They all said that a marriage was a relationship between two families. Hou shi and Yan Bo Yi being like this was really a sin. When Hou shi had just married, she had been a beautiful person. Yet just the span of a few years had been enough to change a beautiful woman into a lifeless and withered person. Shu Fei didn't know how much the other had suffered.

Those seated were all women. While some people were watching for the spectacle and to mock, most were filled with pity. They were all women—how could they not know the hardship of being a woman?

Seeing Hou shi thin and withered, and unable to even cry, Shu Fei sighed and said, "Relax, the Imperial Family will give you justice."

When Hou shi had entered the palace, her clothing had been shabby and her hair messy. While she had been through a round of cleaning up, a feeling of looseness came from her grand robe on her body, and caused people's hearts to hurt.

Hou shi's unfocused gaze stilled for a moment before she stood and curtsied to Shu Fei. "Many thanks, Shu Fei."

"Sit down. There is no need for such courtesy." Shu Fei couldn't help but sigh inwardly again. She had been such a bright person before, and now she was so pitifully slow.

De Fei and Rong Fei exchanged a look, and then they both shook their heads helplessly. They were the same as Shu Fei, consorts in the palace who had titles but no favor. Because they had no children, they were fated to die in the palace, so they did not want to cause trouble.