Ignoring Is An Art

Charlotte McGill.

After my last encounter with Marcus upstairs, I ignored him and Kath every way possible. And quite honestly, Marcus didn't seem to have any problem with it. I made such a big mistake by coming here, I'm never going anywhere uninvited anymore, it's humiliating enough that the host is somehow annoyed by my presence. Sitting in the corner and seeing everyone playing with Kathryn was a discomforting sight. I had to tell myself after every other minute to ignore the cute bundle of joy bouncing in the middle of the room. Just ignore her!

"Why are you sitting here? Did something happen?" Maria asked and she sat beside me. I was afraid that she would ask because she kept glancing at me for the hour. She must have noticed my discomfort.

"No." I lied, "What would happen to me?" I added with a chuckled.

She shook her head and smiled, "You can lie to anyone but, not me. I know you." She said.

"No, seriously. Nothing happened. You know me, I just feel awkward around new people, that's it." I semi lied. That was a small part of my disquiet.

She stared at me for a good thirty seconds before sighing and nodding her head, "All right fine if you say so." She smiled. Pheww, that was close, I thought. I smiled in return and move my gaze towards jumping Kathie. Could she be cuter?!

Maria stood up walked towards Silas, who was busy talking to Marcus. As soon as she sat beside him, he stopped talking and twirled his head and smiled sweetly at him. She leaned in and mumbled something in his ear. Silas frowned and said something to her lowly on which Maria giggled. I sighed and moved my gaze from those two lovebirds to see Marcus staring me, as soon as our eyes met- he calmly moved his towards his daughter. I kept looking at him for a few seconds, I know he can sense my eyes on him but, he ignored me. I rolled my eyes and took my cell phone out from my clutch and started playing some game in it. It was the best way to ignore them.

"Marcus, we'll take our leave now. I'm tired and I have a doctor's appointment tomorrow." I heard Maria saying but, I kept pressing random buttons on my phone. My eyes were glued to the screen but, my ears were busy listening to Maria talking to Marcus.

"Oh, it's okay. But, promise me that you'll visit us next week." I felt weird listening to Marcus talking sweetly to Maria.

"Of course, I will." She chuckled. I was still pressing random buttons, even though I've lost the game long ago.

"Charlie?" Maria called me, I lift my gaze to see her standing with the help of her crutches.

"Hmm?" I hummed.

"We are leaving." She said with a shrug.

"Oh, yes. Of course." I replied and stood up before collecting my clutch.

"Hey! You guys are going?" I twirl my head towards Joseph, as I heard him saying. He was kneeling beside Kathryn but, his eyes were on me.

"Yes, we are," I replied with a smile. He stood up on his feet and walked towards us while pouting like a child.
"But, it's just 10:00. Come on! The night is still young!" He exclaimed.

"I am tired and I have an appointment tomorrow, so-" Maria replied with a shrug.

"That sucks!" Joseph commented, "- But, I can't let you leave like that, Char Char." Joseph said to me.

I frowned, "I don't get it." I answered unsurely.

He sighed and shifted on one foot, "Well, I would like to see you again. You know, maybe we can meet somewhere- you know, like friends. Uh- to know each other better. Uh- to have a better bonding - as friends, of course!" He chuckled nervously and scratched his neck.