Morning After(27)

Mabel POV

Living in the shack had become too stressful, both of my grunkles have been working themselves without any sleep looking for Dipper, and I had even heard Grunkle Ford say something about killing the god. So I asked Wendy I if I could stay with her for a few days.

She seemed off, well we all felt off, I am still worried about Dipper and worried for my grunkles. But it wasn't that that seemed to be bothering her, any mention of my brother and calm would wash over her. She was kind and reassuring, promising me that everything would work out, that he was ok and that everything would settle back to normal.

I wanted to believe her, but I know my grunkles can be stubborn old men, and be set in their ways of thinking.

"Mabel! I'm heading out again!! I'll be back later or tomorrow!!" She shouted from the other room, she and I had been switching off nights sleeping in her bed and the couch, it was still early morning and I hadn't pulled myself out from under her blankets yet.

"Wait! Where are you going!!" I shouted back, rolling clumsily out of bed, throwing on a pair of shorts, I had been sleeping in a few of her old shirts. "Wait," I called again, stumbling out the door.

She stood in the living room fully dressed with a backpack slung over one shoulder. Every now and again she would go out and not tell me where, she would be gone for a whole day or two and not tell me anything when she returns.

"Will you tell me where you're going this time?" I asked, running my fingers through a few sleep nots in my hair.

"No, I'm sorry I can't."

"Then can I come with you?"

"Mabel, no."

"Wendy, come on. I'll follow you if you don't let me go." I pleaded, she stepped away, towards the door to leave.

"Please don't."

"Wendy," I started but she cut me off.

"No Mabel, please. I'll be back later, there's no need to worry. Oh, and I left breakfast in the kitchen if you're hungry." She said quickly make her way out the front door and closed in my face behind her.

Wendy POV

Mabel was getting more and more worked up over her brother's absence and more and more antsy because I can't tell her that I'm going to see Dipper. She wasn't eating much and sleeping through most of the day, claiming she had nothing better to do. Her friends come by every now and again to talk to her and try to get her out the house but I can tell most their efforts aren't working, the only one who seemed to even get threw to her was Pacifica, she seemed to be able to get her out the house long enough to mini golf for a little. Very one trying to get her mind off her family for a little.

The Gas station wasn't too far of a walk from my house, but I still took a slightly longer route to get there, I didn't want to walk straight through town.

Mabel's words were still pressing on my heart, She's so worried about him and here I am going to see him almost daily. I can't believe I'm really keeping her from him. Maybe I should ask him...

The front lights on the gas station haven't worked in a long time, so it's impossible for me to know if he was inside today. I jumped the old rusted fence and quickly made my way to the doors, with the sun out I didn't want to take too much risk in being spotted.

"Dipper! You here? I brought breakfast." I called picking the bridge off my nose, the place smelled awful. When I got no reply I called out again, "Dipper?" The door to the office was closed, like he normally kept it, but it was thin and old so he would be able to hear me. "Dipper?" I called again, knocking lightly before pushing the door open. But the office was empty.