The Truth(29)

Dipper POV

"Dipper." The word, my name, the way she said it was like she was running a harpoon threw my chest directly into my heart.

I stuttered a little, I couldn't put any words together. She was there, here, standing in the doorway, one hand on the door and the other clutched over her heart, like the harpoon had struck her too.

"Mabel," Wendy broke through the silence.

"Wendy, you- you knew?" Her voice was full of pain.

"I asked her not to say anything," The words felt like venom, but I didn't want them too, the pain and betrayal written on her face was enough to make my heart stop, her skin was pale, and the eye bags under her eyes could compete against my own.

"Not to say anything, why?" She practically wimped.

I took slow steps towards her, "I can explain, but please come inside. Let's sit down." I reached for her hand slowly, like one would with a stray cat.

Her eyes traced my every move but she didn't stop me from taking her hand, she didn't pull away when I started to guide her inside, or when the door squeaked closed behind her. And she merely eyed Wendy as she moved ahead of us to open the door to the office, where I gave Mabel the only chair, me and Wendy sat on the desk.

"Why didn't you tell me you were still in town? After- after he came to the shack and left with Lowsmith we were so worried about you, and no one got any more letters, I thought- I thought-" she started rambling, her fingers twisted in the sweater sleeves and her leg bounced faster and faster the more she talked.

I answered every new question she threw at me, I reassured her that I was still sending letters I just asked that Lowsmith not share them with the group, that after Bill was at the shack I started staying here but before that I was staying at Wendy's and that, yes, I also asked her to stay quiet about it. That, no, it wasn't that I didn't trust her, it was that I didn't want to get too close to our grunkles. And so on. The more we talked the more I regretted not telling her sooner where I was, the more I missed her little giggle, or the way her ands and thes would slur or be dropped all together when she started talking too fast.

"I do not know how this works as a conversation..." Wendy whispered, she had said it to herself but it snapped both mine and Mabel's attention right to her.

I looked back to my sister and smiled, her eyes caught mine and she started laughing which quickly infected me and in seconds we were both having trouble catching our breath.

Mabel reached out and grabbed hold of my knee for balance, I clasped my hand over hers.

She gasped and grabbed at my wrist, "Your hands are all dirt, were you sleeping outside again?" she was slowly recovering from the laughing fit.

"You can tell just cause he's got some dirt under his nails?" Wendy asked scooting in.

"Twins know all. Besides this weirdo would sleep outside at home all the time so I know." She explained.

Both her and Wendy stayed the rest of the day with me, we played cards and talked about our days. Mabel wanted me to come back to Wendy's house, But I flat out refused. She seemed hurt by it, but she bit her tongue.

I could see the sun start to go down from the rusted window over Mabel's shoulder. Wendy looked up too, then back to me, "Want us to stay the night?" She asked. Mabel looked up at the window too, then to me for my answer.

"No, no it's alright. You girls head home and get some sleep, I'll be fine here." I said, shaking my head, my thoughts spinning back to the journal I had tucked in my backpack a mere few hours ago.