39

What the hell was I thinking wearing this? I curse myself for dressing up at all

What the hell was I thinking wearing this? I curse myself for dressing up at all. All day, I'd let the tension build by allowing the guys to make guesses about my costume, and then I'd run away all because I was afraid that Chase would be able to read my thoughts because of what I was wearing.

The nickname 'Angel' means so much to me that Faye had immediately agreed to commemorate it this year by helping me dress up for it. Subconsciously, I knew what I was doing but I'd never let myself admit that it is all for him. Or am I overthinking all of this? Maybe it won't mean as much to Chase and he'll make a few jokes.

On his birthday, I had almost kissed him, or let him kiss me. Either way, the two of us had almost crossed the line that we had drawn. The barriers between us that we had built with our friendship are made of glass.

My heart pounds in my chest and I wonder what I am hoping to accomplish by hiding in the bathroom of his house. I slide down with my back against the wall, the dress riding up and making the garter clips visible; I look like a tease.

The door opens slowly and Chase steps in, closing it behind him. Biting my lips together, I don't bother hiding from him anymore. "You've trapped me, now what's the plan?" I pout, watching his expression. Chase's eyes are everywhere, my cleavage, the garter clips, the rising hem of my dress as I sit with my knees bent, and finally, they stay on my face.

He raises an eyebrow and bites his lip, sliding down the wall opposite me. I press my knees together and fold them to the side so that I'm not flashing him too much. "Love, what the hell were you thinking when you got dressed this afternoon?" His British accent sparks a primal part inside of me and I close my eyes, leaning my head against the wall.

"Well I was just thinking, I sure hope I get trapped inside the bathroom in a house full of boys, not wearing proper clothing." I breathe out sarcastically, annoyed now. Less at the situation and more at the reaction I'm having at being in such close proximity to Chase.

"Why did you run?" He asks, his green eyes sincere, but I can't stand to look directly at him. I settle for shrugging. "Did you wear that costume with me in mind?" His voice isn't the slightest bit condescending but I can't answer. My throat tightens. "Do you want me to go, Angel?"

I shake my head. "No. I just...I regret wearing this. Yes, it's for you, but I got scared that you would get the wrong idea all of a sudden, and I panicked. Obviously." I gesture to our surroundings. "I just didn't think it through."

Chase smiles but it doesn't reach his eyes. "No harm done. Want to get out of here and go help? I still have to get my own costume on." He says and balance is restored. Chase can turn any potentially awkward situation into a normal, everyday one and I am so grateful for it.

Even though the 'wrong idea' that Chase could have gotten would be a reflection of my own thoughts, I am not ready to admit that my feelings have grown in fear of him not reciprocating them.

Chase is standing now and reaches out with his hand. Allowing him to help me up, he doesn't let go and intertwines our fingers, leading me through the house. For the first time, I notice the cobwebs covering every ceiling corner and doorway.

"You can help me in here, we're changing out the lightbulbs." He says and gives the room a quick glance over, frowning when he doesn't find what he is looking for. "I'll be right back and have you pass them to me." He walks out, leaving me there. Clasping my hands behind my back, I wander the room, finding the lightbulbs in the corner beneath the step ladder. "Found em'!" I yell out and drag the step ladder to the middle of the room, beneath one of the pot lights. The light bulbs are black and orange and I smile, thinking about how much Faye will love these.

Chase doesn't come back so I hold the box with one hand and climb on top of the step ladder, unscrewing the existing light bulb with one hand and steadying myself on the ceiling with the other. Selecting an orange bulb, I place the other one in the box.

"Fuck off. All of you." Chase growls and I turn my head to see four guys standing in the doorway facing me. With a furious expression, Chase pushes through them and walks straight toward me. His hands move to my waist and he lifts me down from the ladder, tugging on the hem of my dress thoughtlessly, causing it to display a ridiculous amount of cleavage.

"Chase! What the hell!" I resituate my dress and look up at him with wide eyes while his green ones change from emerald to pine. Watching his jaw clench, one of his hands is still on my waist so I push it off and cross my arms.

"That dress is bloody short, Angel." He says and that is all the explanation I need. Looking back toward the now empty doorway, I realize that Chase was being protective. My expression immediately softens and I lean my forehead against his chest, letting out a little laugh.

"I'm sorry. I wasn't even thinking." I groan.

"You put on quite a show back there. Nice white panties by the way." He jokes and my eyes widen.

"Oh my god! Was it really that high?" I screech, looking at the hem of my dress and Chase starts laughing, shaking his head.

"No, just a lucky guess." I swat at his arm with a smile. How could I not have feelings for this protective, charming asshole? "Pass me an orange one, love."

I am beginning to fear that I'm taking more than one of his nicknames for me literally.