Twelve.

Trigger warning: verbal abuse

November 15, 2019

"Of course I'm right!" Raheem shouts from across the practice field. Man City training just wrapped up and we're arguing on whether or not I'm the fastest Sterling.

"Raz, with my title of best Sterling, that means I'm the best at everything"I say with confidence oozing from every word.

"Oi, then let's see then!" Walker adds to instigate one of Raheem and I's daily petty arguments.

I drop my clipboard and iPad on the grass and line up next to Raheem. "Count us down brudda" Raz asks Kyle and the whole team stays to watch.

"On your mark, get set, go!" And we're off. Raz and I are neck-and-neck for a bit, but then I put in my all and pull ahead right before the end.

I turn back to see the lads going nuts at my victory.

"I see you forgot who was whooping ass in Division 1 track at college" I taunt Raheem, who is still choking on my dust.

"Yeah, well find another bed to sleep in because my home is off limits from now on. The disrespect right now is other-worldly" Raheem threatens.

"Be graceful in defeat cousin," I smirk at him.

"Oh brother, are you quoting your man now? I'm going to—" Raz fakes a vomiting noise.

"Maybe if you put as much dedication into increasing your pace as you did into your acting skills, you would've beat me" I retorted.

The squad is in stitches at our interaction. "I don't know why you lot are laughing, your fastest player couldn't beat me in a race, so it's clear we need to do a lot more running in practice" I shut that shit down expeditiously.

________________________________________________________

I'm now at home on FaceTime with my friend Maaza while packing for the flight to Kosovo in four hours. I'm starting to think I have a kink for being late.

"ZaZa, what should I do? I have a feeling I'm just going to have to move all together, that way I can be closer to Manchester and Liverpool," Maaza and I have been friends for years so I've kept her updated with where Trent and I am in the relationship up until this point.

"Are you sure that's what you want to do? I know you Syd..."she trails off.

"No, I don't," I sigh, "I don't want to pack up my life again for a relationship that's so fresh but it's hard to imagine how we're going to get closer while being so far away from each other" I'm so split right now.

"That's what I thought. We'll talk about it when I fly down in a few because you need to pack" she laughs at the four clothing items I've managed to put together in twenty minutes.