[26] Letters

Eli walked to her room alone. The letters she found were in her arms. She examined the letters one by one for the hundredth time. Seeing the writing, the signature, his name, there was no mistake, the letters did belong to Philip, Eli's father.

Eli and Cathy were left by their parents at a young age. Eli was 5 when their grandma took them in after the traffic accident that took their parents' life. The only thing that reminded her of them was their family photo. Even though she didn't remember them like her sister did, the longing feeling was enough for her to recreate her memories with her parents.

The young witch knew that she's supposed to focus on Freya and she knew she won't find the answer in the letters. Yet she couldn't help herself but wonder what kind of person the father that she could barely remember was. She organized the letters by date and opened up the oldest one.

◇◇◇

To my descendant,
I found a growth journal of a werewolf. Nana told me about her, it seems our family had watched over her for a long time. She's not here anymore so I won't be writing anything about her. Instead I want to write something that my children will read.

I said that but, Jamie's last test turned out negative. Worry not, we're not giving up yet. Well I guess that means you have to call Jamie as mommy. It's quite funny and also ironic to write something to someone yet to exist. But, I want to keep on hoping that our child will one day read this letter. I'll keep quiet about the journal and this letter from Jamie, even though I know that won't last long. Please keep cheering me on, my future child.

Your daddy,
Philip

◇◇◇

"Hahaha... You're more brighter than I remember, dad," Eli said to herself after reading the first letter.

She picked up another one and started to read it.

◇◇◇

To my future first born,

I am so happy when your mommy told me she's pregnant. After 3 years of trying, you finally raise our hope. I guess we are still young parents, but I'm sure it will be nice to have you around.

Your mommy still 3 weeks pregnant, so we don't know if you're going to be a boy or a girl. Mommy Jamie wants a girl, don't tell her but I want a boy. Ah, regardless, whatever you'll be we will always love you, my sweet child.

Just thinking of the next 8 months before you're here with us and the years after that where we spend time together, I can't contain my excitement. Your grandma told me it will be difficult, but worry not I will be prepared for anything. I don't know what I'll be doing when you're reading this or your opinion of me. I hope I can be a father you can be proud of.

Love, dad.

◇◇◇

"Hey are you still helping Freya with the spell?" The oldest child, Caitlyn, barged in Eli's room.

The younger sister panicky tried to hide all the letters under her arms. She turned her head to stop her sister from getting closer.

"Ye-yeah. I've been reading some letters, that I'm sure wouldn't interest you," she said trying to act cool.

"What kind of letter make you cry?" Caitlyn approached her sister and wiped a tear that Eli didn't realize until recently.

Eli hastily wiped her tears making sure it won't be more suspicious than it already was. "N-nothing. Just some old cheesy story."