Chapter 8: The Yule Ball

It is two weeks till the Yule Ball and I still haven't been asked to go to anyone. I keep telling myself It's fine and I didn't want to go anyway, but that's a complete lie. I was almost done with all of my homework until I looked t the clock and remembered I had agreed to meet the twins in twenty minutes.

I quickly grabbed my coat off the wall and headed towards the courtyard. The twins were sitting on a bench waiting for me to arrive.

"Hey guys sorry I'm late" I apologized"I got distracted by my homework."

"So you'd rather do homework than spend time with us"Fred winked.

I rolled my eyes and sat on the bench beside him. When I wasn't paying attention I felt a ball of snow thrown at the side of my face. The ice dripped down my face and soaked into my clothes. I shivered and turned to face the twins who had smirks on their faces.

"Which one of you did that"I yelled trying to sound intimidating but it was very difficult because I was trying to hold back laughter. I stood up and formed a snowball throwing it straight at George.

"Hey! How did you know it was me"He laughed.

"I just knew by looking at your mischievous face"

The two of them stood up and started a snowball fight between the three of us. I ran around laughing trying not to get hit although they had a much better aim than I did. Eventually, I got tired of missing and just ran behind George when he wasn't looking and pushed him into the snow. I giggled while watching him struggle to sit up and brush the snow off. I should've been paying more attention because before I knew it Fred came up behind me and pushed me into the snow as well.

We all started laughing hysterically as we sat covered in the ice. Behind me, I heard a familiar voice.

"I hope I'm not interrupting anything, but I was hoping we could talk for a second"

I turned to see Cedric looking down at us. I nodded and followed him getting far enough away from the twins that they couldn't hear us.

"So what did you wanna talk about?"I asked curiously.

"Well as you probably know, the Yule Ball is coming up soon and I was hoping that you could be my date"

I started smiling and quickly answered, "yes, I'd love to!"

He just looked straight into my eyes for what felt like forever until he looked down at his pocket and pulled out a small box."I almost forgot I have something for you."

I grabbed the box from his hand and slowly opened in revealing a golden ring hanging on a chain. It was so simple yet beautiful at the same time. 

"It is a family ring that had been passed down for generations and my father had passed it down to me to give to who I choose. I was hoping that you would wear it"

"Of course Cedric, It's beautiful" I hugged him and before I pulled away I kissed him on the cheek."Will, you helped me put it on?" 

He nodded and I turned around allowing him to brush my hair to the side. I held my breath as his hands lightly brushed up against my neck and he wrapped the gold chain around me. Once it was clasped I turned around and repositioned the ring to be centered.

"It looks amazing on you" Cedric smiled brightly.

I blushed and hugged him one more time"Thank you"

"I have to get to class now, but I'll see you later" Cedric turned around and headed in the opposite direction. I stood not realizing I was staring at him. When I turned back to the twins I saw I wasn't the only one staring at him, except they looked a bit annoyed.