Chapter 15: Mourning

A month had gone by and I was getting even better at the spells we practiced at our meetings. I was on my way to dinner because I had to quickly eat to make it to the library to grab a book for my homework before curfew.

I sat next to Fred and George and started to place food on my plate. We talked for a little bit and I was almost done eating until I heard someone say my name.

"Ms. Mitchell may I talk to you for a minute" I turned to see Professor McGonagall saying.

I looked at her with a confused face" Uh, sure"I looked at the twins and said, "I'll see you guys later in the library."

I followed McGonagall down the hall to her office. I wasn't sure what I was going there for, I don't remember doing anything to get myself in trouble.

She opened the large wooden doors and stepped inside. She motioned towards her chair which I sat in and waited for her to start talking.

"I got a letter from your parents this morning," She said.

"My parents!"I  was super excited, they hadn't talked to me in almost 6 months."Well, what did it say?"

"Alexa, your father passed away today."She responded with a sad look in your eyes.

"You're joking, t-that can't be possible" I nodded my head in disbelief, while my smile slowly left my face.

"Your mother said that he had a heart attack today and passed away later this afternoon"

I couldn't form any words I just began crying. My breathing quicked and my hands were shaking uncontrollably.

"I'm so sorry dear if there is anything you need I'm always here."

"I'm fine, I just want to be alone" I snapped and ran out of the office. 

I didn't stop until I made it into the common room which was empty since most people were in their dorm rooms by now. I fell onto the ground and shoved my face into my knees. Tears were nonstop streaming down my face and I was hyperventilating. I looked up leaning my head up against the wall trying to get air. I held my hand to my chest, what was happening to me.

I turned to the side where I saw various bottles tucked underneath one of the bookshelves. I crawled over and pulled one of them out.

"Alcohol, "I whispered to myself. I had never had any before but I decided one sip won't hurt, right?

I twisted the bottle open and took a small sip. I almost gagged but kept drinking as the alcohol soothed the thoughts going through my head. 

Twenty minutes later an entire bottle was gone and I was lying flat on the ground staring at the spinning ceiling. Suddenly I heard footsteps coming down the stairs. I quickly turned my head giving me a major headache.

"Alexa, what the hell are you doing?"The voice asked.

"Cormac is that you?"I tried to focus on him but I was seeing double" I didn't know you had a twin, Hey there"I waved while giggling.

"Alexa are you drunk?"He asked with a mischievous look on his face.

"It depends, how much of this stuff do you have to drink for that to happen"I picked up the bottle and flipped it over letting out the drop that was left in there.

"Did you drink the entire thing?"

"Yes" I laughed, for some reason, I found everything so funny."How do you make the room stop spinning?"

"I can help you, just come with me" Cormac responded while holding out his hand. I grabbed it and let him slowly pull me to my feet. It felt like I didn't know how to walk anymore. I tripped over myself and almost fell before he caught me.