16

"Kids, dinner" Regina called out the back door, seeing the three children playing together.

They all came running in and straight to the sink, only Drake could actually reach it. Regina chuckled as she went over and lifted Evie up a little to let her wash her hands. Katie went over to Emma and held her arms up, gesturing to be picked up.

"Can you help me" Katie asked with a sweet smile, knowing she can't do it alone.

"Of course, kid" Emma replied, chuckling as she lifted the little girl up.

Emma washed the little girls hands with soap and helped her dry them. She went to put Katie down but the 4 year old quickly hugged her to stay up. Emma laughed and lifted her more onto her hip.

"Are you staying the night" Katie asked, looking at the blonde with a begging face.

"No, sweetie, Emma has to go" Regina replied, placing the bowl of vegetables on the table. She looked at it a final time to see everything was there. "Alright, everyone sit down to eat"

Drake and Evie ran to their usual spots, fighting at who gets the one next to Regina. Evie won and sat down with a smile, meaning Drake sat beside her. Regina took Katie and placed her the other side of her, knowing she has to help cut her food. Emma sat in the seat next to Katie, making her opposite Regina.

"Mummy, can you cut for me" Katie asked with a sweet voice, holding her cutlery to her mother.

"Of course, sweetie. Everyone, eat up" Regina said, knowing her family await her approval before eating.

"Where's dad" Drake asked with a confused look, seeing his father's empty seat next to him.

"He's not going to make it, he said he'll be home later" Regina softly replied, hating she is always the one to tell them.

"He's never home" Drake said with a disappointed face, looking down at his meal.

"I know, baby, I'm sorry" Regina said, knowing there was nothing she could say to get Howard out of this.

Drake huffed as he reached for the bowl of vegetables, realising he can't reach. Emma leaned forward and plated some up for him, causing him to smile back at her. Emma done the same for Evie who frowned at the sight of vegetables on her plate.

"I don't want them" Evie said with a pout, pushing the plate away from her.

"Evie, vegetables are non-negotiable and you know that" Regina said with a stern voice as she looked at her middle child. Evie frowned and pulled her plate back to her, knowing never to argue her mother. Regina finished cutting her daughter's steak before portioning her a small amount of vegetables. "There you go, sweetie"

"Thank you, mummy" Katie replied with a big smile, tucking into her food straight away.

Regina and Emma both reached for the spoon in the vegetable bowl, brushing hands with each other. Their heads snapped up as they moved their arms away. Emma gestured for Regina to go first, soon placing her arm under the table.

"Thank you" Regina softly said, still feeling awkward from the moment.

"No problems" Emma replied, watching as she carefully moved with grace.

The family all ate their meals and enjoyed it, especially Emma. She had never tasted such amazing food before, she couldn't afford steak and her mother only raised her on oven food. Once done, the three children went to their rooms to play before bed time. Regina and Emma were just sat at the table still.

"I will drop you home as soon as Howard is back, I can't leave the kids on their own" Regina said across the table, standing up to gather the plates.