{Sammy Lawrence} || {BatIM} || "Little Brother"

{Originally published on my batim oneshots book on June 29th 2020}

(Prequel to my Norman Polk oneshot "Soulmates")

My father always wanted another kid, he never liked me all that much. He thought I was a waste of space and a nuisance. When my little brother, Sammy, was born, our father wanted nothing else but to see him become what he never could, a . Our mother, on the other hand, loved both of us equally, and pushed us to do what we loved. She passed away 3 years ago, when Sammy was 9, and I was 13. She loved when Sammy would play music for her, and when i'd draw stories for her. Sammy always had a strong passion for music, he'd not only write songs, but play them for our mother, sometimes me aswell. After our mother passed, our father got much more controlling, I was the one who was there for Sammy, and he was there for me. After a while, Sammy started hating our father, I did too, but Sammy became less cheerful because of it.

I was snapped from my thoughts when I heard my bedroom door open. I turned from where I was sitting at my desk to see my little brother, Sammy, standing in the doorway.

"Hey there, Sammy Sam! How was school?" I asked with a smile.

"How many times do I have to tell you to stop calling me that?" Sammy said, sitting on my bed.

I laughed, turning to my desk to contine to draw, and Sammy sighed. After a while of silence I heard Sammy start to hum, it was something I had never heard before, so I guessed it was another new Sammy Lawrence original. Until his hums faded into the familiar tune of our mother's favorite song. I thought of something.

"Sammy Sam?" I grabbed his attention.

"Yes?" He looked at me, a sad smile on his face.

"Why do you think mother's soulmate is our father?" I asked, a serious look on my face.

"I don't know, [Y/N]." Sammy sighed.

"I hope my soulmate isn't like him." I said, laying my head on my arms.

"The world is full of horrible people." Sammy said, and I could tell it's what he genuinely thinks.

"I know, Sammy, but maybe there are good people out there." I told him with a smile.

"That's possible." Sammy said, and we went back to a comfortable silence.

Until our father came home early, that is. When he walked into my room, where Sammy and I were, he immediately saw Sammy sitting upon my bed, writing music, as usual. Normally, Sammy would be back into his room doing homework by the time our father was home.

"Samuel Lawrence, are you writing music?" Our father said, snatching the paper from Sammy's hands.

"That's not his name." It angered me that he still didn't know his own son's name, even after 12 years.

"[Y/N], it's fine." Sammy mumbled, trying to help me.

"Sammy, it is not fine. He should know what your name is." I snapped at him, immediately regretting it.

"His name is whatever I say it is. I am the father, you are the children." Our father snapped back at me, and I shrunk further into my chair.

Our father the walked our of the room, Sammy's music still in hand. I sighed, looking to Sammy. When I saw Sammy's expression I instantly felt bad. He was angry.

"You didn't have to say that to him." Sammy wouldn't look at me.

"Yes I did, Sammy." I sternly spoke.

"He's not going to feed you because of it!" Sammy yelled, and it startled me. I didn't speak. Sammy sighed. "I'm sorry."

"It's okay, you're angry." I understood he wasn't angry at me, but it still shook me.

He nodded and left for his room, leaving me alone in mine. I love my little brother with everything I had. Many years passed, and we were close as ever. I eventually moved out, but visited Sammy whenever I could. After a while, Sammy became much more cynical, but not horribly bad. I traveled for a while trying to find my soulmate. Until, after 5 years I decided to pay my favorite, and only, little brother a visit.

-End-

I loved writing this one tbh. This is actually my headcanon for Sammy's childhood, with the reader character added in, that is. I came up with the headcanon while writing the Norman oneshot. I thought I could solidify Sammy and the reader character's sibling relationship that I thought of here. I really hope y'all like this one, because I surely do for once. Anyways, thanks for reading. Derpy out!

P.S. I'm super happy I could get this out even with my mind being swarmed with thoughts of Hermitcraft and Cayde-6. -June 29th 2020