{Norman Polk} || BatIM || "Mute"

{This was originally published to my batim book on August 18th 2020}

Soulmate AU: In which the first words spoken to you by your soulmate are written on your wrist, in the same font as eachother's, all your life. Once your soulmate speaks to you, their name will appear under their first words to you.

(In all of my Soulmate AUs soulmates fall in love quickly, it just makes sense, if they're soulmates they're 'destined' to be together.)

I silently walked towards the music department, having to drop something off for my good friend, and co-worker, Wally Franks. I worked in a completely different part of the studio, so I didn't know my way around. I didn't ask for directions, because I didn't want to talk. I refused to even utter a single syllable. In this world, you found your soulmate from the first words they ever say to you. The words on my wrist were 'So you're the person Wally has been looking for all day.' It was very specific, but I didn't care. If I were to be with someone for the rest of my life, I don't want it to be forced upon me. My thoughts were interrupted by a muffled voice I heard once entering the music department.

"-I'm outta here!" Found him.

I walked to where I heard Wally's voice, seeing both Wally and another man. Wally turned around quickly, then spotted me.

"[Y/N]! There you are." Wally exclaimed, putting his hand on my shoulder.

"So you're the person Wally has been looking for all day." The man said the words written on my wrist.

I waved, and nodded. The man looked confused.

"Oh, Norman, [Y/N]'s mute." Wally spoke.

The man who I now know is called 'Norman' let out an 'oh'. I internally freaked out, because I was now aware Norman that was my soulmate. I grabbed Wally's wrist and walked away. Wally gave me a weird look, but I kept walking.

"Everything okay?" Wally asked.

'Help me get a date with Norman.' I frantically signed.

"Alright, alright."

-_-_-_-

It's been a month since I found out Norman is my soulmate, and Wally has been trying to get Norman to go on a date with me. Norman didn't understand why, I could tell. Although, Norman finally agreed because 'Wally was starting to get annoying.'. We agreed to go to the local park today, which was Saturday. I waited on a shaded bench, until I saw the familiar man. Norman approached me, as I stood up, a small notebook in hand.

'Hey, Polk.' I wrote in the notebook, showing Norman.

"No need to call me by my last name, [Y/N]." Norman spoke, his southern accent obvious.

I sighed, 'Alright, Norman, what do you wanna do?' I wrote, showing the man with a small smile.

"How 'bout coffee?" Norman suggests and I give him a thumbs up.

Norman and I walked to this small cafe inside the park, and ordered some coffee. Once we sat down, we started talking, or well, Norman was talking, I was writing.

'You don't like being bothered, so why do you let Wally bother you about me?' I wrote my question on the paper.

"I don't know, really." Norman spoke.

'You're tired of being alone, aren't you?' I wrote.

Norman sighed, "'That projectionist, creeping around, he's just lookin' for trouble.' They always say."

'That's bullshit.' I wrote, showing Norman.

Norman laughed dryly, "Tell that to them."

Afterwards, our date went well, and we discussed maybe having another one. I was fairly happy about it, and I could tell I liked my soulmate. I knew i'd have to speak to him eventually, but I wanted to wait a while, and I did. I decided that I'd speak to him when I confess loving him. Now, saying I may love him right after the first date, it may sound crazy as I think about it, but soulmates experience falling in love quickly after their first meeting; it's a phenomenon where the universe basically wants its chosen couples to get together quicker.

-_-_-_-

It was the Monday after Norman and I's third date, a month after we met, and I hadn't told him, or anyone, that we were soulmates. Although, i'm sure Wally had an idea. As I slipped past a bunch of people in the halls, I noticed a few people were waiting for the stairs to be drained. Amongst those people stood none other than my soulmate, Norman stood leaning against the wall as he waited. I decided i'd walk over to Norman, and pulled out my small notebook and pen.

'Hi' is all I wrote down, as I showed the slightly tired looking man.

"Hey, Hon." Norman replied, as my face warmed.

'Wanna go out tonight, maybe?' I asked on the paper.

"Sounds good, the small cafe?" Norman spoke, a slight red on his cheeks, and a small smile on his face.

I nodded, and went to write more, until Norman caught my attention again. I looked up at him, and noticed he was pointing toward the stairs.

"Time to get back to work," Norman sighed, "I'll see you at 7." he spoke, and walked away.

I sighed, wishing to talk to Norman more, but also excited to finally talk to him. I was ready to talk.

-_-_-_-

Our date was going great, so far, an hour in, and I was finally ready to say something to him. I grabbed his hand over the table, and Norman looked at me with confusion.

"You alright?" Norman asked, concern laced in his voice.

I nodded, a small smile placed on my face. I cleared my throat, which gathered all of Norman's attention.

"I love you, Norman." I spoke, my voice a little raspy from not speaking in 15 years.

Norman quickly looked to his wrist, and looked back to me.

"I love you too, (Y/N)."

-END-

I HAVE BEEN WRITING THIS FOR OVER A DARN MONTH- AND NOBODY'S GONNA READ IT.I love Norman, and the word on his wrist were "I love you, Norman.", obviously. Anyway, thanks for reading! Derpy out. -Aug 8th 2020