Mother-in-law (Part 5)

Today it's a little crazy in the Karev household. Alex is running around like a headless chicken, cleaning and preparing. Jo is trying to keep the twins entertained while she helps Alex cleaning. They really underestimated how big their new house is and that they need more than a day to clean it completely. They thought it would be done in a day like they used to be with the loft, but nope. They aren't even half done and they have to be at the airport in an hour.

"Ok, Alex screw it. Let's leave it dirty. Pick up the toys and laundry and leave the rest. They will understand." Jo's screaming from the guest bathroom into the hall where Alex is cleaning.

"But it has to be perfect." Alex's shouting back, not noticing that Jo's already walking towards him.

"Why are you so nervous? It's not their first time with us." Jo's softly speaking, hugging her husband from behind, stopping him in his motion.

"I know. But it's their first time in the new house. With their own rooms. And I want them to like it. I want everything to be perfect." He's nervous and tense. Turning around in his Jo's arms, she pulls him into a kiss.

"They will like it. Dirty or not. The loft wasn't that clean all the time either. They know how it is with us. Speaking of them. We really need to go if we want to be at the airport in time. You know your kids need hours until they sit in the car." With a last kiss Jo turns around and puts the cleaning stuff away. Alex puts his shoes on and graby the shoes of his kids.

After dressing the twins, picking out toys for the car ride, packing snacks and buckling them up in their car seats they are finally on the way to the airport.

"Daddy I'm so excited. I missed them." Emery is shouting excited from the backseat.

"You did? I'm sure they missed you too, Emy." Alex answers his daughter, watching her through the mirror.

"Are they staying forever now, daddy?" Shs askes.

"No. Just until the next holidays. Then they visit their mom again."

"Why don't they live with us all the time daddy? We have a big house now. And they have their own rooms."

"That's right, Emy. But remember what mommy told you about coparenting?" Alex's still watching his daughter through the mirror. Her hand is on her chin, making  her fake thinking face.

"It's when the mommy and the daddy are not together and the kids live sometimes with the mommy and sometimes with the daddy, right?" She watches Alex nod and smiles proudly.

"That's right. Good job. And that's why Eli and Alexis aren't living with us all the time. They live with us and go to school here and in their holidays they are with their mom in Kansas." He tries to explain it as simple as he can. Even though he knows that his four year olds are crazy smart, he makes it easy for her to understand.

"I wish their mommy would live here too, then they could be here all the time and play with P and me." She's saying quietly, while looking out of the window, diving into a daydream.

Jo places her hand on Alex's neck ruffling sofly through his hair, smiling at him. With a quick glimpse to the right he smiles back. God he's so thankful that after everything he did he got her back. He was almost certain that he fucked it up this time. After meeting each other again on Christmas at his mom's a few years ago, everything changed for him. He said it in his letter, because it's true, seeing her again made it impossible to walk away from her again. He and his twins moved to Seattle. He took the job offer he got from Bailey and he became a dad for their twins too. They coparented in the beginning and Jo and him started as friends again. They hung out and drank beer, when the kids were asleep. They shared donuts in dark supply closets and had long conversations on park benches, while their kids were playing on the playground. Jo slowly stared trusting Alex again and the love, that was never really gone, came back. They started dating, with Alex taking her to the most romantic restaurants because that was something they left completely out the last time. But they wanted to do it right this time and they wanted to make it work, for their kids. So they started completely new and bought a big new house, with rooms for everyone, a month ago.