Chapter 13: Summer Vacation

I gather up the last things from my dorm. I haven't been in here for a long while. 

Someone clears their throat, "I see you're packing up. Do try to stay alive during the break, okay? Try not to give your mother a heart attack." I look back. It's Snape. I haven't really talked to him ever since. "I don't really think that she'd care, Professor. I mean, she did kick me out." The words roll out of my tongue before I can control them.

"What do you mean she kicked you out?"

"Generally that means you don't have a home, sir. But I'm staying with the Malfoys." He abruptly turns back. "They're dangerous, Bella. Stay away from them. This is the last time I'll tell you."

"Please let it be. I can't. They've been so nice to me. Lucius has been like my father. Narcissa has been like my mother. I'm living with them, for God's sake." I don't understand why he cares. But then I do. I wouldn't have a month ago. But all this time he was there because he knew I was his daughter. I guess he just didn't want to see me die. The Malfoys have been nothing but kind to me, and I do like them. "Have a nice break, professor." I gather my stuff and walk past him. I meet Dray by the Hogwarts station. I wave to him. "Smile, Bells," He says. I give a fake smile. He sighs. "Come on, let's find an empty caboose," I say. We go on the train. The last time I was here was the last happy memory I have. It was moments before disaster. Gosh. I still remember everything from when I was with him. I have nightmares about it every night, so I haven't slept in 2 days. I'm scared to. There's no way I could have been a Gryffindor. We sit down in a caboose at the back of the train. Blaise joins us after a little while. They start in some conversation, but I can't bring myself to join it. "Bells?" Blaise says. I look at them.

"Did you hear me? I was saying how me and Dray used to have this treehouse in his backyard. We could show you it," He says. I nod and look away. I know my friends are concerned for me, but I can't help but act the way I am acting. Left deep in my thoughts, I notice that a fourth person is sitting here. It's that guy Calvin Clark. We haven't talked much since the beginning of the year. We've had some short conversations, though. I thought that we would become friends someday, but I guess not. I've heard that he was the one who found me. "What are you doing here?" Dray snarls.

"Wanted to see how she's doing," He answers, nodding at me.

"Great," I say. Blaise and Dray look at each other. They know I'm lying. 

"I think it would be best if you'd go," Blaise says softly. Calvin nods and goes.

"Bells, are you sure your okay?" Dray says.

"Snape's my father. Please don't hate me," I admit fastly. They don't look surprised.

"The Dark Lord told me. I can't believe how stupid I was. Blaise, you were right. I do look like him. How could I not be his daughter?" 

"Bells, please don't hate us, but we already know. So does everyone else. Snape told them at your... your funeral," Dray says. I had a funeral? That means they all had given up on finding me. Not that I blame them. I was giving up too, honestly. "Oh." I look away. I wish I could just forget everything sometimes. I stay silent for the entire trip. Blaise and Dray do too. Some hours later, the Hogwarts Express comes to a stop. We get up and go out. I see Narcissa and Lucius waiting for the three of us. Narcissa gives me a warm smile, and Lucius nods at me. I wave at them and wait for Blaise and Dray to catch up. They finally do, and we go.

"How was the rest of your school year?" Narcissa asks us. Dray and Blaise are quiet. I hate this. They can't even speak how they really feel in front of me. I put on a fake smile. "Good. I heard that Dray did really good on the end of the year exams. Blaise, too. Dray's been playing Quidditch a lot too," I answer. The boys stay quiet.