Laying Low

"You actually got to be fucking with me."

You just gave a flat stare at the tree in the empty grassy plains in front of you. The sky was just a bright red and orange as if the sun was setting. And on the god damn tree was that silver bird you saw in your first weird dream.

"You have started your journey young crow." The bird tells you.

Why. Couldn't you have dreamt about literally anything else? Like living back home in Texas, actually somewhat living a stable and secluded life. Or just literally anything else for that matter, you weren't picky. Just anything that actually classifies as normal by human standards. YOUR human standards.

"If your gonna speak in riddles more I'm gonna climb that fucking tree and step on your neck." You threaten with agitation.

The bird cocks its head to the side and flaps its wings to fly around the tree. As soon as it circled behind the tree a third time, a human girl with silver hair and green eyes replace the bird. Some magic trick-type shit. She had some frilly bright silver dress. And she didn't really seem pleased by the way you talk.

"You really are the most intriguing user for the Silver Crow..." The silver-haired girl now states flatly.

"Right..... So who are you supposed to even be?" You ask with just as much enthusiasm as she has.

"I was once of the messengers of the gods. Known to be one of the fastest in the realms. The original Silver Crow, but you may call me Argentia." The girl now identifying herself as Argentia says with a polite bow.

"Silver Crow? You make it sound like some family heirloom." You say with a shrug.

"An interesting way to look at it. But it's not entirely wrong." Argentia replies. "I was once the legendary bird the gods asked to pass along their messages from one pantheon to another, but over the eons, my original body could only fly for so long. So my soul was sealed away in a sacred gear as a means to continue the duty I was once given."

"So what. Am I supposed to be the next mailman for gods or whatever now? Can't you just go ask someone else then." You complain.

While that doesn't entirely invest or interesting from your side, it means more work and dealing with more bullshit. Why you of all people? It's just frustrating that all this crap is getting thrown onto you over and over again, and there wasn't a damn thing you couldn't do about it. And because of that comment, Argentia just tilts her head to the side as if she didn't understand that at all.

"I see. So you aren't aware of your role." Argentia ominously tells you.

"Seriously. It could have been anyone else..." You complain again.

"Fate happens to choose you to be my next partner. Over the years the Silver Crow has shifted over from a messenger to a warrior in their own unique way. I think you've seen what we are capable of a few times already." Argentia continues to ominously tell you.

"Wait. So your the reason why I even kicked Ruruko's ass and moved me against that psychopath!" You put two and two together.

Argentia nods in confirmation. Jesus Christ. This makes a lot more sense. Being a devil first. And now with a fucking ghost or whatever possessing you from time to time.

"Fucks sake. The hell did you pull me into now?!" You say with annoyance.

"My apologies. I had no intention of dragging you into my problems. Since you prefer I....as you humans say, lay all my cards on the table...previous partners over the eons have made many enemies. Enemies that are similar to me. Enemies that you are now destined to eventually meet in the future. Every partner of mine has eventually fallen to time or from said enemies." Argentia dumps a bunch of info on you.