2. Our Little Sister

Victor D'Martini

"Tell me one good reason why I shouldn't torture you and send you to heaven this moment itself," I asked and looked at his face.

He looked at me, his breathing ragged. " I know where your sister is."

As soon as the words left his mouth. My mind was not thinking clearly. I heard the sound of a gun falling from Ethan's hand and on the floor behind me. I was pulled into the past.

Flashback: 11 years ago

"Principessa, dove sei?(Princess, where are you?)" I asked. And there was no reply. I smiled to myself. "Caro, vieni qui e mangia del cibo. Dopo di che possiamo giocare(Dear, come and eat some food. We will play after that)" I said in the best baby voice of 21 years old self.

I looked back and saw Ethan standing there with a sippy cup of water and a small soft cloth. Yeah, we were feeding our little sister when she tried to dump us and ran into the garden. I was getting late for a business meeting. But all comes after my sister.

"Dolcezza(sweetie)" I said in a stern. Again no response. Nothing will work now. Put on the cold face, Victor.

" Bene, Desiree. Non mangi. Oggi me ne vado a casa e anche quello da solo"(Fine, Desiree. You don't eat. I'll leave at home today and that too alone), I said making my voice sterner. I heard small giggling. She will not come out. The cold mask may be used by my brothers. But this little munchkin will not fall for it.

The sound of the giggling increased and I gave the bowl of mashed rice to Ethan and slowly walked towards the bush. There she was sitting and leaning on the trunk of a tree and smiling. Seeing her face, I forgot all the things and the meetings. This 2-year-old girl has wrapped all of us in her little fingers.

I slowly walked behind her and picked her up. She squealed and saw me and burst into a fit of laughter. It was music to my ears. Everyone may say that this is silly. But no, she is my sister and I'll love her like this all my life. She wrapped her little chubby arms around my neck and placed a drooly kiss on my cheeks. I smiled at her and kissed her back. Soon Ethan came towards us and looked at us. Desiree started to bounce in my arms on seeing Ethan. Ethan took her from my arms and placed her on his hips. She whispered something in his ears and he said no. I was silently observing them. She gave him her puppy dog eyes and he sighed.

"Scusa fratello,(sorry, bro)" he said and started to run into the house which the little munchkin in his hands. It took me 13 seconds to realize what was happening. I ran after them with the food bowl and sippy cup in my hands.

I entered the dining room and saw all of them sitting on the dining table and Desiree is sitting on the highchair and sipping milk from a bottle.

"Good morning, Brothers," I said and hear a couple of good mornings and a yawn in return. I snapped my head to see sleepy William sitting in his chair his eyes half-closed and his fork digging in the lasagna in front of him.

"Will, what happened?" I asked. He got up from his chair walked lazily toward me and stood beside me. I placed the bowl and cup on the table and picked him up. He layed his head on my shoulder and yawned again.

"Vicky, I wanna see mommy", he said. All my brothers' heads snapped towards our side. I sighed and ruffled his hair using one hand and held him to me with another.

"I'm sorry,baby. We can't see her anymore." I said and he buried his head in the crook of my neck. "Can we go and visit her?" He asked in a sad tone and I couldn't hold to the thought of my little brother crying.

"Okay, If you and Desiree finish eating your food, I'll take you all to visit mommy and daddy" I said and he nodded his head.
I put him down on his feet and he dashed to his seat and started eating.