Prologue

"So, what are you saying, Dr. Clemens?"

"I'm saying that your daughter has Dependent Personality Disorder, also known as DPD."

"Explain to me what this means."

"Has your daughter experienced an authoritarian and/or abusive relationship?"

"Not that I know of."

"As a child, was she afraid of being alone? Or did she get attached to people quickly?"

"Our daughter has always been extremely naive. She doesn't have much confidence. And yes, she's clingy, desperate to be around someone all the time, and is dependent on everyone around her."

"When did you first notice this on an extreme level? Besides just being a child."

"My husband noticed it when she wouldn't dress herself without approval from us. After that, it escalated."

"And what made you decide to treat it? Why now?"

"She was in a relationship. We didn't know the boy very well, but it was...certainly not abusive...but very singular. In the fact that she only went after what he needed and was abusive to her own self and her needs."

"What was the reaction when the relationship fell apart?"

"She has a panic attack in the middle of a restaurant. Broke down crying like a three year old. A sixteen year old girl, completely embarrassing everyone."

"Did she punish herself?"

"She wouldn't eat properly. Three days later, she was doing the same thing with another boy. That fell apart a week ago, and she..."

The woman sniffles, remembering what her daughter almost did to herself.

"Ms. Violet? I understand that this is tough for you, but in order for me to treat her properly, I need to know what she has done to herself."

"She forced herself to live only off water and crackers, locking herself in her own closet all day, and hitting herself violently."

"Did she allow herself to use basic necessities? Such as the bathroom."

With Ms. Violet's shake of her head, Dr. Clemens knows his answer.

"Ms. Violet, your daughter has a very serious case of DPD. I'm sorry to give you that information, but this needs to be handled with patience, delicacy, and care. Your daughter has anxiety as well, but I don't believe she has depression. I would like to do a physical and psychological evaluation of your daughter before confirming her disorder. However, I am fairly certain it's DPD."

"How do we fix it?"

"Your daughter is not a toy to fix."

"Clearly, she's broken, Dr. Clemens. What medications does she have to take to get over this?"

"She can take anxiety medicine, but DPD cannot be treated with any medication. Ms. Violet, what are you thinking?"

"What would be the best thing for her?"

Dr. Clemens thinks for a minute.

"Now, this might sound like the wrong thing to do. It might be incredibly difficult for your whole family, including and most especially your daughter. What if she stayed with me?"

"You're taking her away?!"

"Not at all. All I'm saying is giving her the chance to have access to therapy all the time. If she stayed with me, and my family, we can submerge her in learning healthy relationships. That way it can roll over to not only your family but relationships that she will have in the future."

"Could we hide her away?"

"You want to lock your daughter away for something she can't control? Do you believe that your daughter chose to have DPD?"

"Dr. Clemens. You don't know my daughter. She's wanted all the attention since she was a child. This is just another tactic of hers."

"Do you truly believe that, Ms. Violet? This is not a matter to brush over if your daughter has been abusing herself because of a broken up relationship."

"Don't tell me how to raise my child!"

"All I'm asking is if you are doing what's best for her or for you. She needs help, Ms. Violet. And you cannot provide what she needs. Please consider the possibility that what your daughter needs is someone else to teach her. She might need a change to help her change."

Ms. Violet takes a deep breath and considers Dr. Clemens last statement.

"I want you to confirm that she really has DPD. If she does, I'll discuss her living with your family with my husband. If he agrees, then yes."

"I would love to see your daughter and have a moment with her."

"Alone? Please, she's just gonna cry."

"Good, I'll be able to confirm everything that I've been stating, Ms. Violet."

"She's in the car. I'll go grab her."