Chapter 24:

Alex and Daxton decide to get to their lockers, being right next to Keegan's, Michael's and mine. Daxton's going to text me the number of the closest locker, so Colby's can be near ours. The rest of us walk inside the office, already bustling with teachers and other staff workers. We say hello to a few of our teachers before turning our attention back to Colby.

In order to calm her nerves, I put my hand in hers, tugging her towards me. Keegan and I look at each other, obviously feeling a little anxious about this ourselves. None of us have any idea about how this will go. Ultimately, it was going to be Colby's desicon, and we are glad she chose to come to public school. However, there are downsides to it.

First of all, school seems a lot more like prison than getting an education. Second, there's gonna be attention -- good and bad -- on Colby that she's not exactly used to. Third, she has DPD. That's gonna influence relationships she has with others. We want her to be independent, but we also don't want her to hurt herself. Fourth, she hasn't done anything like this before. This could really set her progress back. We could be moving too fast.

"I can see your pessimistic thoughts all over your face. You aren't helping the situation at all."

"Well, Michael. I'm sorry that I'm thinking of all the things that could go completely wrong. I don't mean to make me an inconvenience."

"See! It's made you irritable. Just as a reminder, this isn't about you. We are here for Colby and whatever she decides. Get your shit together man."

"I understand that, but..."

"But what?"

"You're telling me that you haven't thought about how bad of an idea this could really be?"

"Yeah, I have, but I'm good at hiding the fact. You need to get better at it."

I scoff, squeezing Colby's hand to control my temper. She squeezes back lightly before holding out her hand to grab her schedule from the office secretary. Colby sends a gentle 'thank you', and we all exit the office. More kids have started walking down the hallways, most glancing at the new girl surrounded by the closed off boys in school.

We aren't popular, but we aren't outsiders either. We just kind of exist. It's best that way. No problems with drama or girls or what happened at last night's party. We stay to ourselves, and it works. Average. I like being average, though my looks certainly aren't average.

Alex smiles as he sees us approaching the lockers. It takes about fifteen minutes to show Colby around the school, her excitement building with each passing second. I send her off with Michael and Keegan who are in her first period. I gulp, feeling slightly more anxious as she walks away. Gosh, I hope this day goes well for her. I want everything to go smooth. 

And what blows me away, it does. Everyone seemed to be super kind to her, only a few questioning her behaviors towards the five of us guys. Most, since polygamy isn't that weird around here, could kind of see what was going on. Instead of what I thought they would do -- go around being horrible gossipers -- they minded their own fucking business. Much to my relief.