Chapter 1:

Colby Violet's P.O.V.

I scream as my mother locks me in the car. My hands pound against the window as I watch her walk away. I don't want to be alone. That's when the monsters come out to play. I tug at my hair and search for someone to keep me company. I try to wave several people down, but they look at me like I'm crazy. Maybe I am crazy.

I don't know how many minutes pass until I see my mother's brown hair walking out of the tan building. Relief flushes through me as I'm not alone anymore, my mother opening the car door. I sniffle, wiping away the tears on my face that my mother hates. She hates when I cry because I'm alone. She hates when I cry in general.

She seems like the bad guy, but I know she really isn't.  My mother...she doesn't really like to put up with me, though she has never hurt me. My brother understand just about as much as my mom. My father, he's a different story. But I hate when my mom leaves me alone in the car. Everywhere we go, because I have to get out of the house (once a month), she goes shopping or something but leaves me alone.

She doesn't like other people seeing me I guess.

She yanks me out of the chair hurtfully. Her grip on my wrist is tight, but I don't care. As long as I'm with someone, it doesn't matter. As long as she is pleased. When she opens the door to the building, a man with a white coat and clipboard stands there. He watches my mother and me interact. At least I think that's what he's doing.

After another minute or two, the man walks towards us, holding out his hand to me.

"You must be Colby Violet. I am Dr. Richard Clemens."

"Good afternoon, sir."

"Oh, no. You can call me Richard. How are you doing today?"

My mother gives me a glare, and I know the practiced routine.

"I'm dandy, Mr. Richard. My mother and I had the most wonderful time together today."

"Is that so?"

"Yes, we have lots of fun."

Richard clears his throat, marking something down on the clipboard. When my mom is homeschooling me, she uses one of those, but she likes to slap my butt with it. It stings a little when she swings it hard, but I don't mind much. My mom says it's the only way that I can be taught with my 'incompetence' whatever that means.

Dr. Clemens says a few more things to my mother about how to approach leaving. Wait, leaving? Why is she leaving? Did I say something wrong? Did my rehearsed speaking routine wrong? Did I not listen to her well? No, no. She can't leave. I have to apologize. I did something wrong. No, no, no. That's not good. She can't go.

I watch my mother stand and tears sting at my eyes. I pull on her hand, earning a not-thought-through slap across my face. Richard gasps as I continue to beg my mother to stay. I scream and kick, pulling at her clothes.

Don't leave. Please don't leave. I know I'm bad, but stay momma. You have to stay.

She pries my fingers off her pant leg, and I fall onto the ground. I flail my body against the floor, tears streaming down my face. Fear courses through my body as I watch her go out the door. I stand up and wrap my arms around Richard's waist.

"Alright, sweety. Do you think you could sit down for me?"

Obediently and without any argument, I sit down on the chair closest to Richard. He wipes my tears from under my eyes, helping me blow my nose. I fiddle with the bottom of my green dress with small white flowers.

"How do you feel about staying with me?"

"Yes. Whatever you want, Mr. Richard."

"That's not what I'm asking, Colby. Do you want to stay with me?"

"My mother, Jackie, is already gone. So, I guess I have no choice."

"You're a very smart girl."

"Thank you, Mr. Richard."

"Before we go to meet my family, I'm going to need you to wait here."

"Do you have other people to see?"

"I do. You won't be alone though-" Richard turns around and points at a desk behind him, "-because a receptionist sits there."

"Alright. I'll talk to them."

"Well, they have work to do, same as me. Can I get you a book to read?"

"My favorite is Percy Jackson."

"I'll be right back with that."