Chapter 8:

One Week Later:

Eli Clemens' P.O.V.

"Dad, you were the one that thought this would be a good idea. To get her away from normal life."

"Son, she's been homeschooled her whole life. A million things have changed for her. This could set her back."

"Or it could push her forward. Don't you think it's worth the risk? She deserves to have independence. That's what this whole thing is about, isn't it? The reason she's been living with us for the past week is to show her freedom."

"I still don't like the idea, but it's not my or your decision."

"Are you saying that Colby should choose what she wants to do?"

"Yes. She knows herself, and if she believes she can handle it, then fine. But any sort of trouble that can set farther back than we can get out of...no more public school."

"I'll make sure she has every class with at least one of the guys."

"And you trust them enough to help her?"

"I wouldn't have brought up the idea if I thought they were untrustworthy."

My father takes a long hard look at my face before nodding in agreement. A bright smile flashes across my face, but with my father's sharp glare, it falls. My lips turn into a thin line as his finger is raised intimidatingly at my face.

"If a single hair on her head is harmed, no more public school."

'Why do you care for her so much?"

"It's clear that her biological family has never. She deserves a good home. And I'm more than willing to accept her into ours."

"I'm here too, you know? I'm gonna take care of her. She's everything I could ever want."

"Oh...so you are thinking about her that way?"

"Is that bad? The first second I met her, I-"

"You don't have to explain yourself to me, son. I trust you and your judgement though I am harsh and protective. I only want what's best for the both of you, and I can see that you are good for one another."

"You know how I talked about maybe wanting to share someone with other men?"

"You mean...polyandry? Would you want to do that with her?"

"Another reason I'm asking my friends is because, well, we are all into that. I was hoping that they would want to maybe pursue a polyandrous relationship with her. What do you think of that?"

"Consent always. Besides that...I think if y'all treat her well, you'll be great together. Are you five having a get together soon?"

"Yeah, tonight actually. Why do you ask?"

"Take her. Get her comfortable with them."

I thank my dad before heading to Colby's bedroom. When I walk inside, Kristin and Colby are dancing to one of Rapunzel's songs from Tangled. Kristin notices me first as I lean against the edge of the doorway. Colby eyes widen, her face now covered in an innocent blush. I wink up at her before lifting Kristin into my arms and kissing her cheek. I hurriedly tell Kristin to go see her sister, and I saunter my way to Colby. I kiss the side of her neck softly and hold her in my arms. 

Colby giggles as I dance her around the room. Her scent, her warmth, and the calm atmosphere give me a sense of peace that I've never had before. I feel no rage, no frustration, just pure happiness in the smallest form. Her little, soft hands in mine send bolts of electricity over my body, and I could never want anything more than this.

And gosh, I hope my friends feel the same way. I want them to like her as much as I do. I have a feeling they will, but it would only be our second time trying this. It's not exactly legal for all of us to get married, if that ever happened, but I could see us all living together eventually. I could see our future being a happy one. Maybe it's too soon, but I've never felt this way before. I'm not about to let it go.

Colby rests her head against my chest, and my heart starts to race.

"Why is your heart going so fast?"

"Because you are here."