ii

my heart jumped at the distant gunshot

my heart jumped at the distant gunshot. taehyung was quick to grab my hand to soothe me. hyejin sat on the floor, picking at guitar strings, jungkook's picture in front of her.

gunshots didn't phase hyejin and taehyung anymore, yet it still seemed to bother me. every single day, I've heard a gunshot and there hasn't been one day where a gunshot hasn't been heard.

"what's wrong?" taehyung asked me. I shook my head, "nothing."

he chuckled deeply, "you're a terrible liar," he wrapped his arm around my shoulder, kissing the top of my head. "come on, tell me."

I sighed, "really it's nothing...I just want things to be different that's all."

he frowned a bit, "everyone does. what matters is that we're safe and there will be a vaccine soon."

I scoffed, "they haven't found a vaccine for thirteen years..."

"have hope," he said. "I know it seems there's none of that in the world right now but still. hobi would have hope, if all of them were here they would still have hope."

"not yoongi." I smiled. he smiled wider, "because yoongi is stubborn, but deep down inside him, he'd still have hope."

I pursed my lips, watching as hyejin continued to mess with the guitar strings, glancing at jungkook's picture every now and then.

in fact, that's where all of jungkook's pictures were, in hyejin's room, she liked to look at them over and over again.

she even kept a special picture close to her heart. a picture of all the boys. she carried that picture everywhere with her.

taehyung checked the time, kissing the side of my head again before standing up. "where are you going?" I asked.

he began to put his shoes on, along with a jacket. i furrowed my eyebrows at his actions, "I'm going to be helping..."

"helping with what?" I asked, the fear and nervousness growing more.

"they're losing soldiers...they've been asking people to help." he sighed.

"with what?" he licked his lips before looking down at the ground. "with what, taehyung?" I repeated.

"with killing zombies, okay?" he sighed. "all I do is stand by the gate and shoot the z's that come near the place. that's it, nothing more-"

"I don't care! that's still dangerous taehyung-"

"I know baby," he shook his head. "but they need me, they need as much help as they can get-"

"I need you," I scoffed. "hyejin needs you. we need you here."

"I'm doing this for both of you, for the rest of the survivors. I promise, nothing will happen to me, or you."

my lips quivered as he took a step towards me, grabbing onto my shoulders and kissing my forehead.

"I promise," he whispered. "I love you."

"I love you." I sniffled.

he gave me a smile, kissing my cheek before walking out the door.

hyejin walked up behind me, rubbing my back and smiling at me. "come," she grabbed my hand. "tell me about dad again."

I smiled as she took me to the couch, "I've told you about him many times though."

"I know but, I want you to keep telling me about him until I feel like I really know him." she smiled as she curled up on the couch.

"okay, well where do you want me to start?" I asked.

"when did you guys meet?"

I smiled, "well, we met in high school. he was very shy and he didn't really talk to many people, only the boys. so when he came up to me and told me he thought I was 'cute', that was a big thing for him,

"I wasn't as shy as him. but I think from that moment is when I started to like him, and then we began to talk and I started to get to know taehyung and the rest of them.

"and then the first time he kissed me...it was the best first kiss ever. he tasted like banana milk."

hyejin laughed, "because he liked banana milk!"

"he loved it," I giggled. "he took me on many dates, he loved me a lot. we rarely fought, and when we did, we couldn't be apart for more than a day."

"he was a good singer yeah?"

I nodded my head, "a beautiful singer. I would fall asleep listening to him sing. and he was very funny and he did crazy things that most people are scared to do."

she smiled, looking at his picture, "he's handsome. is that where I get my good looks from?" she joked.

I laughed, "hey, you got it from both of us."

"I wish I could meet him..." she mumbled.

I grabbed her hand, "he loved you. he did everything to protect me and you. he always thought of how beautiful you would be and how much you'd be like him."

"am I like him?" she asked. "yes, you're very brave and funny like him. but you also remind me of the rest of the boys."

she smiled, then began to frown again, "will I ever fall in love with someone like that one day?"

I frowned a bit, doing my best to give her a reassuring smile. I cupped her cheeks, "someday baby. I promise."

________________

hey guys! so my main goal is to publish a new chapter once a week or twice, I'll be posting announcements if there is a reason I can't update and whatnot lmao

and remember to excuse grammatical errors😂

have a beautiful day ♡ love y'all

❖ ❖ ❖