x

"anyone of you bit?" one man asked, holding a gun in his hands

"anyone of you bit?" one man asked, holding a gun in his hands. he looked like the leader of the three.

we all shook our heads. "so what happened to the survival area?" the second man asked.

"overrunned," soohyun answered. "we're the only survivors."

"you're kidding," the leader chuckled. "how many of you were there?"

"a little more than 100," soohyun replied. "not including the soldiers."

"here, have some water honey." the second man handed a water jug to hyejin. "thank you." she smiled politely.

"so where are you headed to?" the leader asked. "gwangju." hanbin said.

"gwangju? that's a long way for a group of survivors like yourselves." the second said.

I felt taehyung's grip tighten around my arm, I turned to look at him. "I don't like these guys," he whispered in my ear. "they reek of danger..."

"it's not like we're going with them the whole way," I whispered back. "we're just with them to get away from that hoard."

he shook his head, "we need to find another car and get the hell outta here."

I pulled hyejin close to me when I looked at the leader, I had noticed how he kept eyeing me and it was making me uncomfortable.

the majority of the drive was silent, no other words exchanged between anyone. I stayed close to taehyung, keeping hyejin plastered to my side.

we stopped in a small town, the windows of buildings were broken, boards up on a few doors and windows.

soohyun turned to look at us, he smiled when he looked at hyejin, "you still wear the necklace I gave you when you were little?"

she nodded her head, pinching the necklace between her fingers and looking at it, "I never take it off. it's the first present I've ever gotten."

"it was my daughter's." he pursed his lips.

"y-you never told me that..." hyejin mumbled.

"you had a daughter...?" I asked.

"she didn't turn," he shook his head. "she had cancer. died two years before the apocalypse. me and my wife got divorced after that..."

"I'm sorry...why give it to me?" she asked. he shrugged, "you were the only little girl in the area. everyone treated you as their own. you deserved something beautiful, my daughter would've done the same."