iv

"I have news-" he said as he bursted through the door

"where have you been," I sighed. "it was getting too late I was starting to get worried."

he removed his thick coat and shoes, pulling me into the kitchen. "what happened? you're later than usual..." I said.

he glanced at hyejin who was sitting at the table, curiously looking at taehyung and waiting for him to say something.

he sighed, "hyejin, can you please go to your room honey..."

"what? why? why can't I know?" she furrowed her eyebrows.

"please," he shut his eyes frustratedly. "I just, need to talk with your mom in private."

hyejin sighed, grabbing an apple before going to her room. the pit of nervousness began to grow in my stomach as he ran his fingers through his hair.

"tae what's happened? do you want something to drink?" I asked. "n-no baby, i'm fine..."

"then?" I waited for him to say something. the anticipation was making me desperate to know what was going on with him.

"I've heard some talk from the soldiers," he began. "they said the doctors are beginning human trials for the vaccine."

"okay," I raised my eyebrows. "that's great news, right?"

he licked his lips as he looked at me, his eyes said otherwise. "right?" I muttered.

"people have been so excited that they've volunteered to be a trial. but...things are going wrong," he sighed. "the vaccine is backfiring and turning people. no one wants to volunteer anymore..."

"but they've been showing them mercy? after the trials go wrong...?" I asked. mercy: committing the zombie soul to eternal peace.

"I assume so, there's been no zombies reported in the area," he shrugged. "I just needed to tell you...I didn't, and couldn't, hide this from you."

I crossed my arms, chewing my bottom lip anxiously, "so now what? what do we do?"

"we just sit back," he sighed. "there's nothing we can do. the rest of the survivors are getting worried, some are angry that the doctors sacrificed survivors so easily without knowing the consequences."

"the doctors didn't know people would turn z if the vaccine didn't work?" I scoffed.

"I don't know. I just wanna know why it's taken them thirteen fucking years to start human trials." he shook his head.

he leaned against the counter, he scratched the back of his head. he fiddled with his fingers, shifting back and forth on his feet.

I haven't seen him this anxious in a long time.

I grabbed onto his forearms, my hands trailing up his biceps as his eyes shifted to mine. "please tell me it'll be okay..." he whispered.

I tucked my lips inwards as I gave him a weak smile, "I'm being truthful when I tell you I don't know what's going to happen," I sighed. "but we'll be okay..."

I wrapped my arms around his neck, standing on my toes to pull him closer. he buried his face into my neck hugging me back tightly.

I rubbed his back to comfort him, "we'll be okay..."

"but will we," he scoffed. "will we be okay? what if they're lying to us? what will we do then? what if everything just goes wrong? you want to believe a lie?"

"I'd rather die believing in a lie then live believing in nothing." I said softly.

his jaw clenched as he sighed, "I wish namjoon was here...he'd know what to do, or say. he always knew..."

I frowned as his lips began to quiver, tears brimming at his eyes. I hugged him tighter, it always hurt me to see him cry.

he quietly sobbed into me, "I-I'm so scared...I've tried all this time to be strong and hold myself together for you and hyejin and--and-"

"shh, it's okay," I sniffled. "I understand...no matter what happens, we always know what to do."

I kissed his cheek, his face was heated from crying, stained from the tears.

________________

I almost forgot to update oops lolll

❖ ❖ ❖