xix

we had finally arrived in gwangju

it was nerve wrecking, it almost didn't even feel real that we had made it.

the only problem was, there were zombies everywhere, like daewon had said.

"there's no way we can make it through right?" hyejin asked.

"I hope my point was made..." daewon sighed.

soohyun sighed, resting his hand on the steering wheel as he looked ahead of us. the zombies walked brain dead on the street and through the buildings.

"where even is the lab?" taehyung asked.

"I was told they set up in jeonnam university," soohyun said. "it's not too far from where we are."

"look at these zombies, what if there isn't even a lab anymore and we don't even know it?" daewon scoffed.

"only one way to find out," soohyun shrugged. "we just need to figure out how to get through it."

"I-I have an idea," I spoke up. "but I don't think anybody's gonna like it."

everybody stared at me waiting to hear what my idea was. "drive as close to the university as you can."

"I can't, the zombies-"

"just do it." soohyun sighed as he started the car, driving forward towards the zombies.

the zombies snapped out of their trances, snarling as the car came closer. they began to bang on the windows, growling with blood staining the windows.

thankfully, they were tinted.

hyejin began to shake as we had to look all of them in the face. these poor people.

"I can't go any further," soohyun said. "they're blocking the car too much now."

I exhaled through my nose, grabbing onto my backpack and opening the car door.

"minseo!" taehyung yelled.

I exited the car first, the zombies spread six feet apart from me, anxious to get closer to the car.

I extended my hand towards hyejin, "come on bubs, you first."

she gulped as she took my hand. "stay as close as possible to me." I said. she wrapped herself around my arm, wincing everytime a zombie tried to snap at her.

"your turn, soohyun." I said as I opened his door. he stepped out the car, sticking himself next to me as we maneuvered to the other side of the car.

taehyung and daewon got out the car, encircling us into a group hug around me, the zombies continued to keep their distance.

"whatever you do, do not let go of me. we have to walk like this to the lab." I said.

"geez I hope nobody sees this..." soohyun groaned.

we had eventually reached the university. soohyun opened the doors, I was the last one to enter.

"I might've pissed myself a little." daewon joked. I laughed, looking around. it was empty. dead silent.

you could almost hear a pin drop against the floor.

"I thought it'd be a little more...active than this." I mumbled.

soohyun pointed his gun and flashlight in front of us, walking at a good pace in case there were any zombies.

soohyun pointed his flashlight down to the floor, to see a soldier dead. "shit," he mumbled. "what the fuck happened?"

"he turned." I said, he was a zombie.

soohyun picked up the walkie-talkie next to its body. turning it on and tuning the radio knob.

"what's he doing?" daewon asked.

"he's trying to contact someone from the nsa. he can broadcast through all frequencies." I said.

"citizen z this is delta x-ray delta, do you copy? come in northern lights, this is delta x-ray delta." soohyun spoke.

"I hear you delta x-ray delta, I repeat, I hear you." his voice came through.

"great. we're here in gwangju, in the university. we're using a turned soldier's walkie-talkie to contact you. it seems dead here, like no one is here."

"no need to worry sir, the lab is in the science hall. I've checked all the cameras on the campus and they're still there waiting. don't even worry about zombies."

soohyun exhaled in relief, "alright then, we're on our way there. this is delta x-ray delta over and out."

he turned off the walkie-talkie, signaling for us to start moving.

my heart began to beat faster as we got closer and closer. what were they going to do to me? was I even going to be okay?

"hold it right there," a deep, stern voice spoke.

we all froze in place, turning our bodies. only to meet three heavily armed soldiers, dressed in black armor and helmets, we couldn't even see their faces.

"state your business." he said.

soohyun stepped in front of us, putting his gun away and putting his hands up, "I'm sergeant oh soohyun, I was given orders to transport this woman here."

the men flashed their flashlights in our faces, taehyung groaned beside me. I could tell he was annoyed and he wanted to kick the shit out of these men.

"you're minseo jeon?" he asked.

"y-yes sir." I answered. I squinted my eyes as the flashlight was still pointed in my face.

"and these three?" he added.

"my daughter, my friend, and my husband..." I said, biting down on my bottom lip.

he moved his gun, signaling us to follow him in his direction, "come with us then."

________________

updating today because I finished the first day of finals lol
and i'm also watching the grinch and eating food 😂

smh I still haven't gone christmas shopping andddd I have to get so much stuff for my family omg

❖ ❖ ❖