21. Flashbacks Pt. 2 (Max's POV)

*Next Day*

          Following morning, I got dressed up for the funeral of my parents of wearing dark blue dress suit with a white dress shirt underneath, a dark blue pants, and black dress shoes. Got out of my room and head for the funeral outside where my parents wish to be buried underneath the willow tree where they first met. Standing on the right side of my parents' casket as Councilman Fedrick speaks of how amazing king and queen was, their accomplishments, their hopes, and dreams.

          After the speech, the royal family laid down white flowers onto their caskets before lowered down to their final resting place. All the Alpha's that came, gave their consolations to all the members of the royal family. I was just numb through it all, since I thought I had all the time in the world to be with my parents and once I had become King, I can always talk to my father for advice. Now that's gone, but I still have my family with me to help me like my Uncle Adam who was my father's younger brother who is like a best friend.

         Few hours later, it's time for my coronation, I stayed in the same clothes I attended at the funeral. Right now, I am standing in front of the throne, facing the Alpha's and their guests as the Councilman Fredrick announces, "As the next heir of the werewolf kingdom, Prince Maxwell King with be the next King. Is there any challenger for the throne?"

         The crowd was silent after announcing for a challenger to try to take the throne, it was so quiet, you can hear crickets echoing. That is until the Alpha of the Dark Lupa Pack, Alpha Vic, "I challenge Prince Maxwell King for the throne." Then the mummers start from his announcement, especially everyone knows that Alpha Vic is greedy for power and money.

        "I accept your challenge, Alpha Vic." I replied as we head towards outside to get ready for the fight. Changing into a plain white t-shirt and black shorts, I walk out to the arena, seeing Alpha Vic also ready in black muscle tank and shorts.

         "Alright here are the rules, first, no shifting until I say shift. Second, if either of you submits, must not kill your opponent. Thirdly, absolutely no one and I mean no one must interfere with the fight." Beta Jared said as we got into our positions. Once ready he announced, "Begin!"

         We start circling each other, trying to spot weaknesses, unfortunately for him I could see his left side is a bit weaker than his right. Of course, his thirst for power, Alpha Vic attacks first of throwing punches which I dodge or block his attacks. I punch his left rib cage, making him stumble and out of breath, so I keep attacking with most of my hits connected while the others he manages to dodge. We keep going at it, Alpha Vic with bloody lips with good bruises on his face and probably his chest as well while I am only ruffled up with few light bruises.

         "Shift"

         I quickly shift into Midnight while Alpha Vic shifts into his wolf, which is light gray wolf that is about half a foot smaller than me, his wolf's name is Shade. Shade launches to get on top of me, aiming for my neck, but I quickly duck underneath him and bit his leg hard. Hearing a yelp, he extends his claws to swipe me, I quickly let go and jumped back, avoiding his claws. Shade leaps towards me as I do the same, we collided in the middle as a pile of fur rolling around to get on top.

        The fight is going as long as thirty minutes, I see Shade panting heavily while I'm just circling around him, waiting to strike. He leaps at me again, I dodge to the side and clamp my teeth around his neck, making him go hard to the ground while my paws firmly hold him down. He keeps trying to get out of my hold, I just bite down harder, drawing blood that gets into my mouth. Staring at his eyes, telling him to submit to me, unfortunately he doesn't and continues to struggle and the rusty smell of blood is filling my nostrils. Within a few minutes of him struggling, I realize he will not submit, so with a large growl piercing the air as a final warning before I snap his neck.

         Waiting for him to bare his neck to me, yet refuses to and continues to struggle harder, forcing me with no choice, I snap his neck and he goes limp in my grip. Letting go of Alpha's Vic's body, he shifts back into his human form. "The winner is Prince Maxwell King! Are there anymore challengers?" Two more steps out and its starts over again on each battle refusing to submit and forcing me to end their lives.

         Their mates I feel sorry for since once you lose your mate; you can't live without them causing suicides or worse feral. Their heirs will take over their father's pack and cycle of targeting the royal family continues, even though it is not my fault I gave them chances which they refused to take.

         By the end of the day, I was crowned King of the werewolves, and for the month and a half, had to deal with ferals trying to attack my pack and rogues thinking they can take over the throne. I had killed so many wolves, the thought if my mate will still want me haunts my mind day after day since my hands are stained with blood.

 I had killed so many wolves, the thought if my mate will still want me haunts my mind day after day since my hands are stained with blood