Chapter 6

As school progressed, I started to become better friends with other students and meet new people. I hung out mostly with Sarah, Sage, and Alex, but Mary Lynette and I were pretty close too. School had been in session for a few weeks, and nothing unusual really happened anymore.

                           The air outside on Wednesday morning was frigid. The weatherman said that a cold front had blown in from the north, but it didn't seem normal for a cold front to change the temperature by 20 degrees.

                           I stripped off my jacket as I walked into my first block and sat by Mary Lynette.

“So, how is it going?” she asked with a suspicious smile.

“It’s going good, why?” I laughed cautiously.

“I have heard some rumors…”

“About what?” I questioned further.

“Alex is going to ask you out at the pep rally Friday! But you didn't hear it from me!” she whispered happily.

“Oh my God! Seriously?”

                           The excitement I felt mixed with my words. Alex was the perfect guy. I never imagined that my life would be so good after the events as of late.

                           I walked through my classes the entire day imagining what would happen at the peprally. I was so happy, I almost didn't notice the boy in my math class being a dick.

“Alex,” my teacher asked, interrupting my thoughts, “what’s the answer to number 5 on the worksheet from last night?”

“Xy squared over 42?” I said unconfidently.

“Close…” he answered empathetically.

“Mr. Barclay,” a brunette boy sighed, “the answer is obviously x divided by y to the 4th power.”

                           The boy turned to give me a dirty look. I looked back at him with a puzzled expression on my face, but his blue eyes remained ice. My head couldn’t grasp why he was giving me such a bad look. Was I supposed to be sorry for giving the wrong answer? After class, the boy came up to me with a disgusted frown plastered on his face.

“Maybe if you stopped hanging out with the wrong crowd you'd be smarter,” he hissed as he walked to lunch.

                           I stood in the doorway of the classroom until somebody ran into my back. It took a while for me to shake the feeling that something was wrong. Thoughts kept running through my head, and they weren't good. Why would somebody that I didn't know be so rude? Had I done something wrong that I didn't realize? I shrugged of the thoughts and scoffed. Obviously he wasn't worth my time. He was probably just jealous that I just walked into the school and was adopted into the popular crowd and he’d been here forever and no one liked him.