Chapter 22

“Yes?” I asked, goading him on.

“Well, before I was in Laura’s pack, I was in a different one. We lived on the street, and we did what we needed to survive: steal, etc.,” Kyle began, “One of the guys in the pack was huge. People would see him coming from a mile away, and they would run. He was a big deal.”

                           I nodded, waiting for the point of the story.

“So,” He continued, “I think that we should find him and use him as our secret weapon against Taja.”

                           I looked from Aiden to Kyle. That was their amazing plan?

“How do we find him?” I sighed.

“Umm,” Kyle began.

“Do you even know his name?”

“I think it might be something like Gaughan,” he said.

                           I rolled my eyes.

“If you can find him, your plan will be great,” I dismissed.

                           Aiden and Kyle left the library with disappointment written on their faces. I felt bad for crushing their plan, but I needed to be realistic. If we expected to win against Taja, we needed someone to fight her. A random person that Kyle used to know wasn't a good enough answer. I wanted something absolute.

                           I leaned back against the window and sighed. Where could we go from here?

*

                           Taja paced back and forth in her bedroom. I need to find him, she thought to herself. She looked up as Alex began to tap on the door.

“Come in,” Taja sang.

“Are you okay?” Alex asked, “You seem very distant.”

“Don’t worry about me. I’m fine,” she answered with a smile.

                           Alex watched her warily.

“Well,” he stated, “if you need anything, you know where to find me.”

                           She nodded and turned to face the window by her bed. Alex left the room quietly and allowed Taja to have some time to herself.

“Gaughan,” she whispered, “where are you?”

*

                           I looked around my kitchen for food as Aiden poured a bunch of drinks.