Chapter 24

I woke up nervously. My dream echoed in my mind as I moved around my bedroom.

“Mary Lynette,” I said, shaking her awake.

                           She groaned in response.

“Hey,” I began, helping her stand up, “I need you to do me a favor, okay?”

                           She nodded.

“I’m going to take you down to the basement and into the drawing room where there are no windows, and I want you to stay there for a while. Okay?” I asked politely.

                           Mary Lynette’s eyes began to bulge out of her head.

“What?” she asked incredulously.

“They’re giving Taja a gun. I assume she’s going to attempt to kill you, but she can’t’ do that if you aren't near any windows!” I answered nervously, “Please? Just for a couple of days so we can make sure that you’re safe.”

                           Mary shook her head in disapproval.

“Of course not!” she yelled, “That’s crazy, Alex! I’m going to walk around like a normal person.”

                           I frowned at her. I could understand her not wanting to be cooped up for that long, but I was only trying to keep her safe. If Taja killed her, I wouldn’t be able to live with myself. It would be my fault.

                           I walked down to the basement to find Aiden.

“They’re giving Taja a gun,” I told him.

“What?”

“Alex is giving Taja a gun. She’s going to come her with a gun and kill us all,” I exaggerated.

“Alex, tell me that you’re kidding,” Aiden pleaded.

                           I shook my head gravely.

“I wish.”

“What can we do?” Aiden asked.

“I’m as clueless as you. What is there that we can do aside from wait it out and see what happens?” I sighed.

“You’re right,” Aiden answered sadly.

                           I didn’t want to take the lazy course of action, but what choice did I have? I made my way back up to the kitchen and sat at the table.

*

“I think that I’m pretty good with a gun,” Taja said with a smirk, “and nobody’s ever lived to tell me otherwise.”