Chapter 21

When I finally fell asleep that night, it was to more nightmares.

“She doesn’t look that tough,” Alex said with a frown.

Sage glared at him.

“Why? Just because she’s pretty?” Sage bit.

The girl smiled at Alex.

“I can assure you sir,” she bowed to him, “I’m a worthy soldier.”

“When I found her she’d just ripped the heads off of three Keepers,” Sage said excitedly.

“Big deal.”

“She’s a wolf.”

Alex’s eyes widened and he looked impressed.

“I’m very fast,” the girl responded.

                           I jumped up. Birds were chirping happily outside my window. I wiped the sweat off of my face and stood up. Alex has a new secret weapon, I thought to myself, does this mean that I need one too?

                           I sighed and fixed my ghoulish appearance. Alex was always putting himself one step ahead of me. How was I supposed to beat him if I couldn’t catch up? It was already approaching the second week of December, and I didn't want to think about how soon Alex would want to finally try to kill me.

                           I walked downstairs and sat on the couch. Just as I began to bask in the peace and quiet, my phone began to ring.

“Hello?” I answered, not recognizing the number.

“Alex?” came Mary Lynette’s voice.

                           She sounded worried.

“Mary Lynette? What's wrong?” I replied.

“They’re chasing after me, I don’t know what to do. I’m on my way to your house, but they’re gaining on me!” she cried into the phone.

                           The phone began to sound fuzzy.

“Mary Lynette?”

                           There was no response. The called dropped.

“Aiden?” I called.

                           He appeared in front of me. His confident smirk disappeared when he saw my face.