Chapter 30

Music blared loudly from a speaker in the living room next to the Christmas tree. The war was over, and tomorrow was Christmas. I forced a smile whenever someone would look at me, but I knew they all thought the same thing: she was in love with her Keeper.

            I tried not to think of Aiden, but he remained the only thought present in my head. I knew that would change, though. He’d only been dead for one day. I would learn to move on.

            Everyone was beginning to look at me more often now. It seemed that they all shared a secret. I refused to read into it. There was no way they had what I wanted.

            Finally, as the celebration progressed, I began to allow myself to withdraw mentally. Just as I was getting ready to go up the stairs, I could hear the group go silent.

            I turned around to see why, as the Christmas music playing from the radio hung awkwardly in the air. Aiden was standing in the middle of the crowd, staring at me.

            It took a few seconds for me to realize that he was actually here, and that he wasn’t just a figment of my imagination: everyone else was staring at him too.

            Before I even knew what I was doing, my legs carried me to him. I ran the few feet as if it were miles. Once I reached him I wasted no time. I threw my arms around his neck and kissed him.

            I let my soul flow into the kiss. I could feel the tears once again finding their way down my face. Aiden was alive. Aiden was alive.

            I broke away and buried myself into his chest. My tears came out harder and faster, and my body shook. He pulled me as close as he possible could and buried his lips into my hair.

“I love you,” he whispered, “…so much.”

            If I could’ve gotten the words out, I would’ve. I continued to cry into his chest. I didn’t care how or why; all I cared about was that Aiden was alive. I had all the time in the world to tell him my feelings.