Chapter 28

I woke up at 5 in the morning on Christmas Eve. I attempted to act normal, but my mind threatened to lose itself in hysterics. My body movements were shaky, and I couldn’t lose the feeling that I was going to die in a few hours.

                           I flew down the stairs. Everybody else was already sitting in the drawing room with worried expressions.

“Why didn’t somebody wake me earlier?” I complained.

“We figured you needed more sleep than the rest of us,” Mary Lynette replied sweetly.

                           I understood her intentions, but the sun was going to rise in no more than 2 hours.

“Why are you dressed nice?” Logan laughed as I moved towards the front of the room.

                           I smiled tightly and looked down at my navy blue lacy shirt and skinny jeans.

“I wanted to look nice if I die today,” I whispered out of earshot of the others.

                           He looked at me with wide eyes. His expression yelled for me to not think like that, but I wasn’t going to expect to win. If I expected to win, it would hurt much more if I died. At least this way I would be letting everyone else down, but I wouldn’t let myself down.

                           I coughed to get everybody’s attention.

“As you all are well aware,” I began, “we fight our final battle today. One team will win.  Afterwards, you will either see Alex as he attacks you all for aiding me, or you will see me. Whatever happens, fight to the best of your abilities. We might be able to win this.”

                           They all smiled at me, and a few cheers erupted from the crowd.

“I want you all to go get anything that you think you’ll need. Be outside at the clearing no later than six, when you get there get in your position,” I tried to keep a stoic face as I talked, but my voice had an audible shake to it.

                           I walked upstairs to the kitchen and ate a good amount of breakfast. I didn’t have anything left to do so I went out to the clearing.

                           There was only a slight fog out, but the further I walked into the woods the thicker it got.  I found my way to the clearing. The fog was thickest here. I could hardly see more than a foot in front of me.

                           I sat down against a tree and waited.

                           Finally, people started to arrive as the time approached 6 in the morning.

“I don’t quite know when they’re going to get here,” I began, “so maybe we should just set up in our for—”

                           Before I could finish talking, wolves came out of the fog and attacked.