𝟑

____
Maybe the past is holding me up

I keep the memories with me, replay what was

Smile again -blackbear
____

My red shoes walked down the hall, they squeaked as I walked, my brain already sending me warning signals about the sounds they were making. I stopped, clenching the box in my hands as the sounds my shoes made stop as well. I lifted my feet up, standing on the balls of my feet as I began to tiptoe towards the black door in the end of the wall.

I stood in front of the door, my small fingers clenched around the small little box as my heart began to pound quickly. I bite my lip as I stared at the nob on the door

Why did it feel scary to go inside again?

I heard a loud voice from behind the door as I instinctively took a step back, my nails almost taring the pretty wrapping paper that covered the box. The present.

My small fingers wrapped around the nob on the door turning it quietly as I pushed it open. The bright lights of the room blinded me for a few seconds before I walked in. A man in a black suit stood at the head of his big table, I know him, I think. He had gray hair like grandma. He looked mean too with his eyebrows pushed together, making him look like he wasn't happy.

"What are you doing here, kid." I flinched from his tone, he was angry. I wanted to leave but I knew I'd just have to come back here to give him this. I lifted the gift up to him. Even with the man so far from me, I was scared to be close to him

"I brought you this" I whispered, my voice small

"Get over here then" He snapped as I held back the tears that began to sting my eyes. When I was in-front of him he took the present out of my hands causing me to flinch and take a step back. He tore the present wrapping. His face still so angry. A picture frame lay inside and I wondered what it was.

He didn't look happy about. But presents make everyone happy? June said they did.

"Why the hell do I want this crap. If I wanted a reminder of this shit I'd go back to that dump!" He let the frame fall as he moved away. My eyes watered as I looked down to see the picture it held, I cried.

He didn't like the picture. He didn't like the picture. He didn't like the picture.

"Daddy" I frowned at the words. Was he my dad? Why don't I recognize him.

"What the fuck did you call me" My eyes widened at his tone, he was even more angry. I stood still as he walked towards me. I didn't make a sound or dare to move. His hand wrapped around my neck jerking my head up "You might be my kid but I don't give a shit about you, I don't want to see you ever again. You hear me."

I cried loudly as I couldn't breathe. I didn't understand why he was hurting me, why he didn't want to see me. All I knew was the moment he let go, I ran. I didn't care about my shoes making sounds, or my crying.

I ran. I ran. I ran. I don't want to see him.

I still can't breathe

I gasped.

My eyes shot open as I took in all the air my lungs could handle, wanting to get rid of that burning sensation in my throat. I tried to breathe. I looked around seeing the dark room as I began to panic, not knowing where I was before I realized I wasn't in the bed alone