𝐗𝐗𝐈𝐈𝐈. PEACE & LOVE ON THE PLANET EARTH

❝ VICES ❞

October 7th, 2020

IF RORY WAS ANYMORE NERVOUS, he thought that he might die. 

The more time passed in the day — he and Techno spent most of the day inside, watching movies and talking about the things they loved — the more nervous Rory felt. He didn't let it show; he'd explained his date idea to Techno the night before, and Techno had been completely on board — excited for it, even, which was reassuring. However, it didn't calm Rory's nerves completely.

He felt like his idea paled in comparison to Techno's. Could it even be counted as a date?

Rory didn't have much time to think about the answer. Soon, around 2:30 p.m., they left the house and headed to the bookstore. They were going to have dinner at the house this time, with Rory being the cook, and then they'd watch the sunset (Techno's idea, somwhow). Leaving early left plenty of time for those things — and also meant Rory had to stop worrying at some point.

Two minutes into the walk, Techno grabbed his hand. Rory pretended not to notice, like it was the most natural thing in the world. He wondered if Techno could feel his pulse, which picked up the second they made contact. He hoped he could blame the blush rising to his ears on the heat, since he'd worn another sweater.

"So explain it to me again," Techno said as they walked down the sidewalk.

Rory raised his eyebrows. "Again?" he teased. "I'm starting to think you just like hearing me talk."

Techno smiled. "Maybe I do," he admitted.

Rory quickly looked away, fighting back the grin that threatened to overtake his expression. "Simp," he muttered, making Techno chuckle. Rory cleared his throat. "So basically, we'll choose a book that we think the other would like to read, a book that we want them to read, and at the end, without showing the other two books, we both agree on a book to read together. In total we'll leave the shop with six books because we'll buy two copies of the last one," he clarified. Techno nodded, not looking bored by the idea.

The last time Rory had suggested the idea to someone, well, Henry had found it boring. It felt nice to be validated for once.

"Seems . . . simple," Techno commented, and Rory didn't know if it was meant to sound like a jab or not. "Looks like you're reading—"

"Spoilers!" Rory scolded. Techno laughed; Rory felt the familar warm feeling crawling up his face and to his ears.

They entered the bookstore. A nice, homely atmosphere greeted them, along with airconditioning, which was a relief. Rory didn't want to stop holding Techno's hand, but he knew they would need to separate to grab the books. After a moment of hesitation on both their ends, Rory flashed him a smile and reluctantly slipped his hand out of Techno's. "Meet you here in . . . ten minutes?" he suggested. Techno nodded, and they went their separate ways.

Rory took a turn into the fantasy section while Techno headed for the new releases. Rory browsed through the section, looking for something that would be similar in genre to The Princess Bride — fantasy, adventure, romance. He wanted to get something long, too, not a short book. Eventually his eyes landed on something he recognized and he smiled, taking the book into his arms.