𝐄𝐏𝐈𝐋𝐎𝐆𝐔𝐄 𝐅𝐎𝐔𝐑. ( new ideas )

AN ODE TO VICES — EPILOGUE FOUR
NEW IDEAS

March 13th, 2022

CURLED UP ON THE COUCH, an arm draped around Rowan's shoulders as they watched The Princess Bride for the ninetieth time in their relationship, Techno could safely say that he'd never felt so nervous before.

He can't even focus on the movie. All he can think about is how Rowan is at his side, his head against Techno's shoulder; all Techno can feel is Rowan leaning against him; he can barely hear the movie over the thoughts running their way around his mind. And it's clear that Rowan knows something is up, because he sits up and gives Techno a concerned look.

"You okay?" Rowan asked sweetly.

Techno smiled nervously. "Yeah. Just thinkin'."

Rowan hummed, looking unconvinced. "Anything I can help with?"

Techno shook his head. "No, it's— nothin's wrong, I just need to figure things out." He pulled Rowan back to him. Rowan sighed, leaning against him again, still concerned. "I love you."

Rowan smiled. "I love you, too," he said softly.

They sit in silence for another few minutes, watching the movie play out.

". . . The Visa got approved."

He says the words so quietly that he's not even sure if he spoke out loud. But when Rowan turns to look at him with wide eyes, Techno knows he was heard.

"What?" Rowan asks, shifting away from him to look Techno in the eyes.

Techno takes a deep breath. "The— the temporary Visa that will let me live in the UK for two years before I can apply for a permanent one. It got approved. I can move to the UK. I can— I can move to Brighton."

Rowan gaped at him. Techno shifted nervously. He was hoping for a more positive reaction.

"So . . . so you want to move in?"

Techno looked up, meeting his eyes. He hesitated. ". . . No," he admitted. Rowan nodded, getting more comfortable. He motioned for Techno to continue. "I want to try living on my own for a bit, I— I've never really had that, and I don't want to just drop into your place and not know how to do somethin'." Rowan nodded in understanding. "But . . . I wouldn't mind livin' a block away."

Rowan smiled slightly. "Do you even have an apartment picked out?"

Techno smiled sheepishly. "Last time I visited, when Will took me out to lunch while you were with Niki? We were apartment hunting. I found a place that's like two blocks away from you, it's almost finalized, but if you don't want me to be that close I understand, just—"

He was surprised when Rowan threw his arms around him, hugging him tightly. Techno chuckled, hugging him back. He looked up at Rowan, who was on his knees on the couch and almost towering over him. "I love you," Rowan said, pressing a kiss to Techno's cheek. "I— I'll get to see you so often now and we're gonna have so many dates and asleepovers and—"

Techno smiled at him, pulling Rowan down for another kiss. "I'm flyin' back with you on Friday," he said. Rowan giggled, giddy, pressing another kiss to Techno's lips. "I might need to stay with you until my stuff comes in—"