𝐗𝐗𝐗𝐈𝐕. 3:00 A.M.

❝ VICES ❞

November 5th, 2020 / November 6th, 2020

WILL WASN'T WEARING SHOES.

It was the beginning of November, and, as Will stated sheepishly, he'd left his shoes at Niki's place in a rush to get to Rory's apartment, meaning he'd run down the street, hailed a cab, and had walked up several flights of stairs (because the elevators were always broken) in his fuzzy, Harry Potter-themed socks their mom had gotten him for Christmas.

Rory had laughed, making fun of his brother's mistake, and then made some hot chocolate for the two to drink when the decided to watch a movie. Newt sat in Will's lap, happily getting pets as Rory laid down on the long part of his L-shaped couch, Will sitting only two feet away with his legs crossed under him.

Tomorrow, when it wasn't nearing 1:00 a.m. and Rory didn't feel like his heart was about to fall out of his chest, he and Eret would stream their 'date.' This also gave Tubbo and Tommy enough time to set up the SMP for a wedding, as Tubbo had excitedly told him twenty minutes before, after the stream had ended. Rory had scolded the boys to go to bed, but he knew they wouldn't listen to him. They rarely ever did.

". . . I was really looking forward to seeing you get Hosted," Will confessed as a shitty Hallmark Christmas movie played on the TV. Rory rolled his eyes, stopping himself from throwing the remote at him when he remembered that Newt was in Will's lap. Will smiled. "Are you okay? From earlier?"

Rory sighed, sitting up. He knew this moment was coming.

". . . I am."

Will glanced at him, clearly not believing Rory's words. ". . . It's okay if you're not. No one is going to blame you."

"I know." Rory took a deep breath. "But I'm tired of being held back by him, Will. I'm tired of panicking whenever I have to see his face, or feeling exhausted whenever we text each other. I got away from him so long ago. I don't want to keep dwelling on him." Will was nodding along, quietly listening to his brother's words. ". . . I'm tired of everyone rushing to make sure I'm okay after something happens," Rory admitted. "And I know everyone cares and that's great, it's so fucking great, but I— I can handle myself sometimes, you know?"

Will frowned. "I know, Rory. No one's doubting that. We just . . . want to keep you safe. You'd do the same for any of us, it's only fair."

Rory shrugged, not meeting his brother's eyes. "I know. It just sucks to be treated differently because of a bad thing," he muttered. Will smiled sadly.

". . . Are you serious about getting a cat?" he asked.

Rory glanced up. He smiled. "Maybe later on, but yeah. I've been meaning to get around to it for a while, but then I went to Florida, then California . . . then Love or Host . . . a lot of crazy things are happening, I need to find time to research and actually introduce Newt to the presence of another animal before I commit to it." Will nodded in agreement.

"Well, I'm free whenever and there's an animal shelter right next to my office."

Rory raised his eyebrows. "You know we don't have to do everything together, right?" he teased.

Will rolled his eyes. "Let me have an excuse to play with the cats," he whined. Rory chuckled, leaning back against the couch. ". . . It's getting late, we should both get some sleep," he said, gently encouraging. Rory sighed, nodding.