Chapter Twenty-Three - With You

(F/D) - Favorite Drink

(F/C) - Favorite Color

Everything was just fine.

We found out that all the money Adam made was in a safe in a secret compartment in his room. It was all cash. Apparently, he was at least a little smart, because he decided that making transactions was too risky and could get him caught. That just makes things easier for me.

I chose to turn the downstairs strip club into a nice little cafe. If I was going to run this place, I was going to run it my way. I gave the girls who needed jobs places at the cafe, and soon enough they were all living normal lives again. All except for Aaron and I of course. I decided to continue Adam's business, but in a different way.

Aaron and I were in charge of assassination. The cafe became the place to go if you need someone dead. Of course, we would always do background checks - and maybe a little bit of stalking - to make sure these people were the scum of the Earth before we agreed to take their lives. Rapists, pedophiles, abusive parents, and maybe the occasional schmoozer with too much money on his hands. Tanner helped with all of the black market stuff, like selling their body parts and all of that, which I refuse to even think about.

It took me a really long time to get used to everything. Killing people, running a business under a cover-up business - Tanner. I knew that with him in my life, things could never be normal, and I don't think I want things to be normal again.

I walk around the counter with (F/D) in my special (F/C) mug. I'm the owner of the shop, so I of course get everything for free - and have my own special cup.

I wave to the group of regulars who had said hello to me, Jay, Cory, John, and Charlie. They're definitely my favorite customers.

I sit in my usual spot in the corner by the window and drink my (F/D).

I had finished my drink a while ago now, but I really couldn't bring myself to get up. I wasn't tired, just a bit lazy, and I wanted to keep looking out of the window.

The sun's rays had turned to liquid gold, and the group of boys had just stepped out of the door, leaving the shop empty for now. I sighed, finally deciding to get up and go try to do something productive upstairs.

After washing my cup and putting it in a drawer, I began to walk up the stairs. The second I turned the corner, my fist clenched and flew up, ready to smack the shit out of whoever was coming so quickly. A hand gripped my wrist tightly before I could make contact, and began to drag me in the opposite direction of where I was originally going. Luckily I recognized the back of Tanner's head before I started to fight him.

"I'd like - I need - to talk to you. It's - important."

His voice was so different. The confidence was completely gone, and I couldn't hear the smile in his voice anymore. Something was bothering him, and it seemed like he was having trouble with it.

He pulled me into a room that was filled with empty files and records. He let go of my wrist and stepped into the center of the room, his back still facing me. I leaned back against the door to close it, and then took a few steps forward towards him. I could tell his mind was racing as he turned to face me, revealing an expression that I've never seen on him before.

"You okay?" I cocked my head to the side, taking half a step forward.

He sucked a deep breath in, "Why?" He asked, squinting his eyes at me. "Why wouldn't you want to go home? Why wouldn't you try to report me? Why would you want to stay with - me?" He addressed himself like he was some vile creature.