Part 6

Maggie walked down Wall Street, towering buildings lined the road, making her feel like an ant.

Men in suits hustled down the sidewalk, brushing past her, yelling into their phones. She felt like a fish out of water surrounded by these powerful executives, in her periwinkle sweater and flower speckled miniskirt. In a sea of black and grey, sat a colorful speck of a girl.

When she got to the building, she stepped through the giant glass doors, into the lobby. The shiny, black tile floors stretched across the room. High ceiling holding a huge abstract style chandelier, hanging down in the center of the space. Silver elevator doors sat straight ahead, people stepping out to clear the lift, then filling back up with more people getting in hastily.

"Hello." An incredibly tall woman approached Maggie, wearing an expensive looking blazer and skirt. "Are you Margaret?"

"Yes, I am."

"Great. My name is Jasmine. I'll be escorting you up to Mr. Barnes' office. Please follow me."

A little confused as to how she knew who she was, but figuring it was plainly obvious she was the little artist, just here to visit. Struggling to keep up with her long strides, Maggie had to make twice as many steps with her stumpy stems. Squeezing into the elevator, Jasmine pressed the button at the bottom of the panel, sending them to the top floor of the building.

Maggie nervously chewed on her lip. She didn't realize how fancy James' job was. Everyone around her was at least six feet tall, wearing dark colored designer suits, clearly articulating their words or efficiently moving off to their next meeting.

When the elevator reached the top floor, Jasmine stepped off, gesturing for her to follow. The top floor was just as sleek as the lobby. Glass doors lined the dark halls, peeking in she saw people sitting at desks, working on their computers or taking phone calls.

"Maggie!" Steve grinned, striding down the hall towards her, wearing one of his usual clean cut suits.

"Hey, Steve." She was happy to see a familiar face, instantly calming her shoulders. His warm expression was a blatant contrast to the judgmental stares she received while walking through the building.

"I'll take her from here." Steve said to Jasmine, sending her on her way. "Come on, tiny. I'll take you to James." He wrapped his arm around her, walking back down the hall. At the end, sat a set of titanic wooden doors.

Steve tapped his knuckles to the wood, then pushed it aside. The office was bigger than Maggie's entire apartment. The back wall was entirely made up of windows, overlooking all of Manhattan. Dead center, sat a wide black desk. James was seated in a leather desk chair, leaned back a bit and holding his phone to his ear, looking like royalty.

When he saw her walking in, he swiftly cut his call short and hung up. Spinning out of his chair, he causally walked over to greet her, taking his sweet time.

Well-dressed as always, in his all black Tom Ford suit, paired with his obscenely expensive Italian shoes. When he reached up to brush back a strand of his hair, his Piaget watch peeked out. Kitted out in more money than she could fathom. Long hair brushed neatly, tickling the tips of his collarbone.

"Hello, Margaret." His tone was pleasant, despite his cool exterior. "I see Steve found you."

Steve laughed. "Wasn't too hard." He said, gesturing to her.

James knew what he meant; licking his lips when he saw her colorful garb. Although, he wanted to rip the lumpy fabric of her sweater to shreds for concealing her chest, her skirt was short enough to give him a stellar view of her legs.