Part 13

James sat perched a thousand feet in the air, in his impressively sized office. He and Steve were on hour two of listening in on a legal call with some partners from Berlin. The whole time though, they were fucking around, not at all concerned about the grave nature of the call. Rolling their eyes, muting the line to talk shit. A lot of the people they had to deal with on a daily basis were much too self-important.

Most of the time, due to their young age, people thought they could talk down to them. The ancient men they worked with would act like they were too naive to keep up, but the thing was, they would use it to their advantage. Being underestimated could be a great benefit when you knew how to use it properly. Most people in the industry knew of James' reputation, but the few that didn't paid the price.

When the call was over, James and Steve both were three million dollars richer, without having to lift a finger. The idiot on the phone intentionally flubbed some of the specific prices on a deal, thinking they wouldn't notice. Landing on a fat settlement, instead of taking it to court and wasting everyone's time.

After, cutting off the partners droning sputters of apologies with a harsh insult, James slammed his pointer finger down over the line, ending the call.

"Fucking shit. Sometimes I hate my job."

Steve laughed. "Well pal, I'm sure you won't hate it when that settlement rolls in."

"A drop in the ocean." James shrugged. "I honestly would've paid them three million to shut the fuck up." He had no patience in his entire body. Most people drove him mad, thanks to his severe sociopathic tendencies.

"Yeah, I'm sure you would, Buck." Steve shook his head at him. He was so used to his brutal attitude problem after their thirty years of friendship. It was his job to keep him in check, though. "But don't clam up too early, we have a full day ahead of us. Also, your favorite investment is coming in." He mocked.

"God, don't fucking remind me."

They had a meeting scheduled with Loki and his team in a couple hours. James knew he was going to ask for a bigger investment. Their last meeting went somewhat well, since it was mostly accountants talking back and forth, letting James just sit back and approve decisions. This time though was sure to be interesting. He hadn't seen the guy since he took Maggie to lunch— and he lost his goddamn mind over it.

James stepped out onto the balcony a few floors down, aggressively inhaling a cigarette, trying to calm his hostile mood before it was about to get a hell of a lot worse. He leaned up against the rail, wearing his Gucci midnight ink suit and his Berluti burnished leather shoes.

Long brown hair blowing in the wind, standing high above the city. He looked down at his silver glinted Bvlgari watch, realizing he was about to be late to his most painful meeting of the week. Flicking off the butt he'd smoked down to the filter, letting it drop down a mile to the sidewalk below.

Entering the conference room, James' staff was seated, waiting for his presence to start it off. Loki sat at the far end, instantly locking eyes, wearing his usual pestering expression that drove James to a homicidal state. Once he took his respective seat at the head of the long black table, the conversation started.

Just as James had thought— Laufeyson Industries was requesting more money, hoping they would further their current investment. Loki sat silent, letting his top sales rep give their presentation. James didn't listen to a word of it. He already had his answer set and to be honest, he was considering pulling their initial investment as it was. The company wasn't as successful as they had first thought. Since their first agreement, their stock had decreased, which was not a good sign.