Part 39

James did up his Tom Ford blazer as he stood from his seat.

Shaking the hands of his clients as they thanked him and his team for their time. He had been in the boardroom for over two hours, discussing a new investment opportunity with a fairly promising business.

Long strides carried him down the hall, mentally going over everything he had to do before he left for the day. A handful of emails, a quick call to one of his assistants, and approving his schedule for the week.

Hoping to get it all done quickly, so he could beat Maggie to her apartment. He wanted to surprise her with dinner and a romantic night in.

Sitting down at his desk, he dove right into it. His tattooed fingers slammed quickly over his keyboard, writing out an email to his consultant team. He typed shockingly fast. As fast as the average person spoke. No typos.

His phone buzzing in his pocket made his hands freeze their dancing. He reached in, lifting it to his ear. "Hi, doll."

"J— James? James, I—" She sobbed through the phone, stuttering out her words.

"What's wrong? Margaret, I need you to calm down." He commanded.

She took a hiccuped breath. "I was attacked."

Stomach dropping, his eyes widened through a glare. "What happened? Are you okay?" Neither of his statements sounding like questions.

"I'm fine. I was walking down the street for a coffee, and I—" She cried out, sniffling. "Some guy came up and tried to stuff me in his car. If it weren't for a couple of people walking by, he would've taken me."

He closed his eyes. Fucking seething. Nearly crushing his phone with how tight he held it. "Where are you? I'm picking you up."

"I— I'm back at the gallery. I think I'll be okay, James. I don't want to pull you from work or anything. I'm just going to head home."

"Stay there. I'm coming."

He jabbed an inked finger over his screen, ending the call before she could respond. He picked up his desk phone, lifting it to his ear as he stood from his seat grabbing his coat with his free hand.

"Jasmine, clear my schedule for the week and have my car brought to the front. I need Alex to pack a weeks worth of clothing for Margaret and myself and take it to my jet. I'll be at La Guardia in half an hour."

He slammed the phone back down and slipped on his coat, rushing out of his office without looking back. He sprinted down the hall, bumping into everyone that got in his way. Nearly destroying the interior of the elevator as it slowly descended. The soothing jazz somehow made him feel even more on edge.

Making his way down to the lobby, he stormed straight through, rushing outside just as the valet brought his beloved Aston Martin around.

Scooting in, he yanked the door shut, and stomped down on the gas. Engine roaring to life as he took off. His tightly clenched fist jerked the steering wheel around, weaving through the cars and pedestrians that dared to slow his momentum. He found his phone, dialing Steve's number with his free hand. A single ring later, he picked up.

He answered laughing. "Are you really so lazy that you have to call me from down the hall?"

"I'm not at the office, I just left." He clarified. "Steve— I think it's Hydra. They came after Margaret. They just tried to fucking kidnap her."

"Are you serious?"

"Yeah, g— GET THE FUCK OUT OF MY WAY." He boomed out the window, punching into the horn, then whipping his car around the idiot attempting to parallel park. "Sorry, I'm on my way to pick her up. We're leaving town. We have to stay hidden for a bit. I need you to keep an eye on the company for the next few days."