Part 41

The next day was spent at the house. Not leaving once.

Although he didn't show it— James nearly had a panic attack while they were out the day before, so he figured they just needed to stay put.

They swam, watched movies, and practiced Maggie's self-defense moves some more. All in all it was a decent day. That being said, she was being a brat the whole time.

At first he was startled by her attitude, but it was more entertaining rather than upsetting for him.

She took any chance she could to send a jab his way about feeling like a prisoner. He laughed them all off, not even phased by her adorable attempts to be 'mean'. His favorite was when she said that he was the one doing the kidnapping, not Hydra.

They sat on the couch together in front of the fireplace, fresh out of the shower. He combed his fingers through her hair, untangling her damp curls. Trying to ease her out of the brattiness. Her eyes started to creak shut from the soothing touch and the comforting sound of the crackling fire. Head starting to fall, until she snatched her neck back up.

"Sleepy?" He asked.

"I wasn't, until you started playing with my hair." She rasped. Trying to be cold, but failing miserably.

He chuckled, shaking his head. "Watch that tone, little one."

Maggie's start of a response was stopped by a loud ring coming from James' pocket. He held a finger to her, digging it out. He stared down at the screen. "It's Arthur. I should take this." He glanced up, pressing a kiss to the top of her head before walking off, holding the phone to his ear.

She chewed her lip, nervous for the news that was sure to follow the phone call. Sighing to herself, she looked out over the yard, taking in the view for a moment. The sky was pitch black. Moon glowing brightly, creating a soft ring of light around itself. Stars speckled over the dark canvas, sparkling beautifully.

A minute later, James walked back in wearing his usual unreadable expression.

"Is everything okay?"

He took a deep breath, siting down beside her. "Yes. They have Rumlow in custody for questioning."

"Thats good right?"

"Very good. We should be pretty safe now." He shrugged. "We still need to be vigilant, but I think we can let our guards down." He added with a smile.

She let out a squee, hoping up on his lap. Giving him a tight hug.

"We should probably head home. Why don't you go pack up?"

Pushing off of him, her face contorted into a frown. "We just got here though."

"I know, doll. But this wasn't supposed to be a vacation. Just an escape until the threat was gone."

"Can we please stay a little longer? Just one more day?" She jutted out her bottom lip, batting her eyes at him, twining her fingers together to beg.

He narrowed his eyes. "We're going home. End of discussion." Lifting her up off his his lap and standing from the couch, turning to walk to the kitchen.

"But, what if wear the little red set for you?" She smirked.

Her words stopped him in his tracks, mid step. He spun on his heel, wearing a stoic expression. "The one we bought yesterday?"

"Mhmm." She licked her lips slowly, biting down on the bottom one as she sat on her knees.

He considered for a moment. Turning back around, not saying a word. Continuing on to the kitchen.