Part 54

A/N: MISS YOU! by CORPSE is such a vibe for this brooding emo boy James.

~

Steve was leaned up against his Mercedes, waiting patiently as James was walked through the gates. The lapels of his coat popped up, to keep him warm from the chilly breeze. Winter was coming to an end, but the cold weather pressed on.

His head snapped over to find James stalking towards him. Wearing his ruined suit and jacket from the night of the kidnapping, all those months ago. Priceless fabric crusted with oxidized blood, turned black. With Maggie's blood. The thought of that night soaked deep into his clothing, forcing him into a haunted mood from the second he pulled them on.

Head held high for his first steps back into the free world, swaggering on the promise of life, but his face was unchanging. Expression made of marble like always. Like nothing could make a single muscle twitch out of place. Not even seeing his best friend waiting to take him away from the hellhole he had been locked in.

No matter how glad he was to be out, all he could think about was Maggie. She was the only person he wanted to see waiting for him.

"Hey, Buck." Steve greeted warmly.

James gave him a silent nod.

"How are you doing?" He inquired, eyeing him warily. Steve knew all too well how much prison impacted James' state of mind. Although it wasn't even close to as long as the last time he was locked up, he could tell he wasn't functioning normally.

"I could use a stiff drink."

Steve chuckled, patting him on the shoulder. "Come on, pal."

The two of them hopped into the car and Steve whipped away from the curb. He reached into the back seat, keeping his eyes on the road as he drove. Bringing his arm back around, he clutched a bottle, dropping it in James' lap. A Royal Salute scotch whisky. Roughly thirty grand if his memory served him well— which it did.

James yanked off the cork with a deep thunk, tilting it to his lips and chugging down a few pulls. Spicy burn, scalding the inside of his throat in the best way. He closed his eyes, savoring the warmth filling his belly. "Fucking shit, I needed that."

Steve laughed, slamming on the gas, picking up his speed as the engine roared. "Where to, Buck? We could do dinner if you want? A three star Michelin on me." He offered.

"I actually have some business to attend to."

He looked over at him in disbelief. "Really? You want to work your first night back? I've had things handled, Bucky. There really shouldn't be much for you to do."

"Not for Buchanan Barnes." He shook his head, taking another pull from the bottle. "Personal business. I have plans to see a friend."

Steve frowned, considering. "Do I wanna know?"

"Probably not." James said simply, staring straight ahead.

They zoomed across the river, winding through the city streets over to the Upper East side. Steve parked on the curb, following James into his house.

Taking his elevator to the fifth floor. Steve moved to the living room, while James hiked up to the master suite to take his first decent shower in months.

He stripped off his crunchy suit, tossing it straight in the garbage bin. He set the water as hot as he could, turning on the steam to the highest level. Lathering designer Jo Malone soaps over his tattooed muscles and greasy hair, washing away his time in the grime filled prison.