21: Birthday Traditions

According to Aunt Julie, my mom originally named me Sanura. Sanura means kitten, she says that my eyes were small as a newborn kitten when I came out. I was crying like one too. Everyone just kinda' started calling me Sunny in elementary school.

Birthday breakfast at the diner was a bit of a tradition for me and Louis. If my birthday was on a weekday, we'd wake up really early in order to get to school on time. I'd always order an oreo cheesecake and Louis would a candle on it and sing.

On the day of my seventeenth birthday, Aunt Julie sends me a Happy Bday text but I get that she can't come with us to the diner because she's in Paris and she isn't coming back until before Christmas.

Louis stayed the night here "to keep me company" as he says. He slept on the couch and attempted to make me chorizo scrambled eggs. He makes a huge birthday card with a sound once you open it singing happy birthday.

"Good morning, birthday girl!"

"Good morning." I smiled, rubbing my eyes.

"What's that burning?" I gasp.

Louis rushes to the kitchen immediately at incredible speed and yells, "Bloody hell! The waffles!"

He hands me a plate with waffles and chorizo scrambled eggs. "Here's what we have for breakfast; chorizo scrambled eggs and what was called waffles."

I chuckle. "You didn't have to do this."

"Hurry up now, we're still going to the diner. Remember, 7:21?"

I know you're wondering, why 7:21 and not 7:20?

For me and Louis, 7:21 means July 21. It's the day we became friends. We could've called it a friendship anniversary but instead, we decided to make it a birthday tradition for both of us. We'd either have breakfast in the diner at 7:21 AM or ride a Ferris wheel on Louis' birthday at 7:21 PM.

"Happy Birthday."

I blow my candle and made a wish. "Thank you."

"What was your birthday wish?" he asked, taking a sip out of his chocolate milkshake.

"Whatever it is that you wished for." I smiled.

"Cheers?"

We clung our milkshakes together, "Cheers!"