39: The Breakup?

It's a normal day in school and I'm on my way to my locker to fetch some books. I had a smile on my face when Lucas comes up to me.

"Hey."

"Hey."

"You look happy."

"I am," I answer.

"Ok, I'm leaving..." he says, turning back and walking away.

"Lucas! Wait." I run to him as he halted in his tracks.

"What is it? Is something bothering you?"

I eye at his phone and grab it. Lucas watched me as I looked closely. My mood dropped straight to the floor when I saw a video of Louis and Toni hugging outside of Louis' house.

I open my mouth to comment on what I just saw. I mean they were just hugging but it was everything to me. For once I felt like I was loved and that someone finally loved me the way I am.

I looked at Lucas blankly when Louis walked behind him with a smile on his face. Lucas left us alone and left his phone with me.

"Were you and Toni together this morning?"

"Yeah, we were." He admits.

"Here we go again." I scoff.

I look at him with tears almost coming out of my eyes and his face falls.

"Don't look at me like that."

"I can't help it. It's the only way I could look at you right now."

Louis takes a deep breath and explains. "Toni needed me today, so I was there. But as a friend, Sunny."

My eyesight goes fuzzy with tears. "It's no use, Louis. It's only you and her in the picture now. It always has been. So I believe there's no space for me at all."

"I deserve better than this, Louis. I deserve...I deserve to someone's number one girl. I know it sounds selfish, but I think I do deserve it."

"You already are."

"No, I'm not. You're still protecting her, right? From what though? From me? What have I ever done to her? What makes her so special to forget?"

"What has she ever done to you?"

I look away. "You're switching this on me."

He spreads his hands helplessly. "I am not, okay? I mean, aren't you happy enough that I chose you?"

After that, it sounded quite different and probably he was bringing up something different now. It felt like he was shoving to my face that I should be happy we're together now.

"You're protecting her. It's always her."

Louis sputters and tries to deny it. But it's over, there's no use. How could believe him again when the reason why I shouldn't is right in front of me? Why now? We're finally happy, and now this?

"She's been really upset with her family and she was jealous and took on you and me―"

"Like what? What is she going through? Tell me. Maybe I'll understand." I didn't ask to expect an answer. I was proving the point. If he isn't protecting her, he should tell me now the reason why he is.

He looks pained. "I can't tell you that. You know I can't―"

"Why do you keep putting me in a position where I can't say no to you?" he snapped.

"You're the one putting yourself in that position, not me."

"Bye, Louis."