Chapter 1

The golden rays of the sun licked my face harshly with their heat. I have no alarm in my room and because my life has been filled with only nightmares, I tend to sleep in most of the time and today was no exception.

I groaned and got up from my excuse of a bed which was just two thin blankets laid on a blue and yellow mat with a lot thinner blue and yellow pillow. I used to have one of those nice beds but I gave it to mom to use after dad broke it doing Go-knows-what.

Mom was in her third trimester of her pregnancy and I'm also excited to finally get another sibling, a baby sister to be precise. I have an older brother who never stays near me or home. He lives more than a thousand light years from us and it's as if he never existed. The last time I saw my brother Tye was when I was five and he was twelve. Now I'm almost nineteen and I don't know whether he is still alive or he is just rotting away in a far away cemetery.

I pushed the door of the bathroom, it's old and worn out hinges crying desperately for attention, made quite some ear killing noise that almost made me loose my sense of hearing when it started but now it's as if I was a superman to that noise. I entered lazily and went about my business preparing for my graduation and my last day of high school life.

After my bathroom business, I just made a few touches to my face and skin and just threw on an outfit I thought suited the occasion. I got out of my room and stood at the end of the stairs staring at the top with a heavy sullen look and looked around the house, a habit I have adopted over the last few years.

I remember when dad used to laugh with mom and share some crazy ass jokes. I also remember how I use to run from our room just behind the stairs to upstairs just to get attention from my now ghosted elder brother.
I scoffed and climbed up to check on my mom before leaving.

Arriving in the room, mom was fast asleep under the thick blankets and snoring. I walked closer and gave her a kiss on her forehead and smiled. She looked peaceful only when she sleeps as when she opens her eyes a wild cruel world would welcome her into its abyss.

I made my way out of the room, left a note for her in the kitchen and set out for school.

Many students and their parents had already arrived on the school grounds when I reached there. Some were congratulating each other as others were rambling about how they might never see each other again.

I wished I could be part of them but hey, my life always has this mountain that prevented me from being like the others. Not that I'm complaining but you know sometimes you just feel all those hard stones of life dragging along your skin like a thousand heated swords. I shrugged and went straight to the school's auditorium with my head down avoiding all eye contacts and conversations, I was too drained to do so.

I used to have a friend, the only friend I had and he also happen to change schools and moved far away from me and to top it all, I had nothing whatsoever to communicate with him. With a sad mind and face,I sat on the second row of seats waiting for everything to begin and end.

Eventually, the auditorium was filled to the brim as each student and those with their parents entered with proud smiles on their faces. I smiled a little and sunk deeper into my seat. The principal came in and gave one of those cliché long speeches and gave out certificates. I'd like to say I slept through it all till I heard name and went onto the stage to grab whatever I had to be given. When all was said and done, I scurried out of the auditorium and went outside the school not bothering to say goodbye to my mates or whatever they expected me to do. I just couldn't stay any longer or I might just let the tears piling behind my eyes to fall.

School was the only thing that kept me hanging on. It was my own little world,an escape from my harsh reality, an outward shield from the storms brewing and the only place where I got two people except from my mom who genuinely care about me. And life decided all of a sudden to take that away from me. I turned and started walking towards home at a fast pace not glancing back at the place that held me well for when I was lost.

I was so engrossed in my thoughts that I never noticed walking a little into the road until a blaring honking and the screeching of tyres jolted me back. I glanced back and saw an expensive car just a few meters away from me. Though I'm not into cars and all that but I could really tell from its sleek gray colour and exterior design that it was no ordinary car and the person driving it was no ordinary person.

The no ordinary person stepped out and truth be told, he was the just the type that could make all girls swoon and sway to his appearance like they were in a trance. He was in black round neck shirt with a gray jacket and a pair of crisp black jeans. He seemed to be not so older than me, maybe two or three years but he had the aura of someone oozing with power and his muscular hulky stature together with his killer looks made no effort to help. He was simply an alpha male, I cringed and shook my head from my bad choice of words, who even says alpha male?

"Oh shit! Are you hurt, are you okay?" he asked with such a worried tone that I thought it was funny coming out of him and almost laughed.

"I'm fine, don't worry" I composed myself and replied in a lazy tone and turned to leave but a strong hand grabbed my hand which by instinct I smacked away only to turn and see the no ordinary person clutching his hand in pain.

Now it was my turn to feel guilty.

"I'm sorry" I exhaled "I just don't like being touched, sorry again" I apologized

"Oh, don't worry " he smiled nervously and rubbed the back of his neck.

"So why did you grab me?" I kind of deadpanned which was not really my intention.

"Uh..mind if I give you a ride to apologize for my rude behavior?" He asked hesitantly.

"No thanks. I can manage and you weren't rude" I turned him down

"Please just let me do this" he suddenly whined and insisted like a three year old and trust me it was even more funny than a comic soap opera.

So I thought why not give it a shot?, maybe it could keep my mind away from things when I try so hard not to laugh at him and so I gave in and got into his car which he gentlemanly opened the door for me and to his luck got no thanks in return and trust me if I say my jaws dropped from what I saw, the interior of the car was something I couldn't describe it was just.... it looked surreal.

I don't know much about cars but I think it might be because the only cars I've been into all my life were street coaches and buses and the occasional glimpses into the cars of the richer students in school that my eyes had gotten car blind only to be opened to see this. It was so amazing. The man asked for directions to my house which I gave to him pretending not to be awestruck but literally I was crazy inside.

On our way he started a conversation which I tuned out and only caught a word and maybe his name and that was Felix and the rest were dead history. I jumped out of the car upon arrival and gave him a thank you and hurried into my house not waiting for any reply from the man I might call Felix. I slammed the door shut a little too harshly, and heard Felix zoom out of my neighbourhood. I don't know why but I didn't want him lingering around.

I went upstairs and still saw mom sleeping so I came back down to make some simple food to comfort my angry and hungry stomach who had been rumbling since morning. I checked the time and it was little over twelve noon meaning I had been out for about four hours. I made some vegetable soup and other things that can be called food, ate some and left the rest in the fridge for mom in case she wakes up to find me out or sleeping.

Talking about sleep I probably should get some. I finished my food and trotted to my room and flopped down on my bed with a loud thud which gave a little discomfort in my bones.

My mind started going through a hundred thoughts per second and my tears also suddenly came out with no reason, they were tired of hiding behind my eyes. I guess now my tears even hate me for letting them stay away for so long that they don't want to be in my body again.
So I just laid down and let them fall silently praying that everything would soon end.

I probably fell asleep still crying and hugging negativity but those nightmares came again and again throughout the night until finally they let me go and released me into the hands of sleep, something which I had been wishing for but seems like a thousand centuries away from me.

I just want to change everything but it's always so hard when it all crumbles down again but there is one thing I know and it's that
I'm not giving up at least for my mom and my baby sibling on the way........